We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
296 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

We are doing a whistlestop tour of three Italian cities during our European visit, visa permitting, in September. Following our stops in Venice and Pisa, we arrive in Rome by train on Friday, late afternoon, and leave at a ridiculously time on Sunday morning - seemed a good idea at the time.

In essence we have Friday evening and a full day on Saturday before flying to London on Sunday morning.

I could do with some advice on a area to look for accommodation for our two nights, an area that is easy to get to from the station, is easy to get to and from the main sights on Saturday and, probably most importantly, easy to get to Fiumicino for our easyjet flight to London at daft o'clock in the morning. If anybody could also recommend a reasonably priced hotel that would be even better.

Thanks in advance

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

From Ostia you can reach Rome centre in 40 minutes with the local transport (rail) and the Fiumicino airport with 10 minutes private transfer. From mostly of the hotels in Ostia, the concierge help to arrange the transfers.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

It depends on the exact time of your flight and the check-in time required by Easyjet. Personally I'd look for an airport hotel to be on the safe side. You can easily reach central Rome with the airport trains or buses.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

I think you should stay near termini ( the main train station). If you do you will be able to use the busses to get to any sights you want to see and be able to get a train to the airport easily on the sunday morning.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 08:35
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

If your flight is the 7 a.m. one to Gatwick, what time do you need to check in? 6-ish? So leaving central Rome by taxi at 5/ 5.15 you should be ok. Personally (and I don't enjoy stress at all) I wouldn't try it by public transport that early on a Sunday morning. Anyway, see what's available.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

We had an 8:00 for return to USA via connection in Munich. We chose to spend our last 2 nights in a central tourist area rather than dodgy Termini or wasting time on buses and trains. You will pay a bit more but will enjoy your valuable time. It only took 30 - 40 minutes via private car service arranged by hotel for 45 or 55 Euro. I think a smelly taxi is the same price. I would look around Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain areas. We stayed once around Termini and hated it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

Termini is NOT as dodgy as the dodgiest parts of NYC ---> just watch your pockets and you'll be fine ........ and Rome taxis are immaculate compared to NYC taxies!!! However, a Rome taxi driver is more likely to rip you off than in NYC, so if you stay within the Aurelian walls the fare is a fixed 48 euros.

The north side of Termini is a bit nicer than the south side.

But still, that early in the morning I wouldn't risk getting to the airport by pub. transportation... a taxi is better!

Edited: 30 June 2013, 15:41
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

I'd still spend at least the Saturday night at an airport hotel.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

I agree with you penny, but the OP doesn't care about NYC. They are interested in knowing the smartest way to spend two nights in Rome with an early flight.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

If you want an inexpensive hotel, convenient to tourist sights and convenient to transportation, the Termini station area is your best option. You can look for hotels on either www.booking.com or www.venere.com . Both allow you to choose your neighborhood (Termini or another) and then sort the list by price or by guest rating. When choosing an inexpensive lodging, you should pay close attention to the guest rating and read the guest reviews. On both of these sites, only verified guests are permitted to rate or review hotels.

There are night buses from Termini station to the airport if your flight is too early to take the train. You can see the schedule here:

cotralspa.it/PDF_Areoporti/tiburtina_termini…

I suggest you buy your tickets and locate the bus stop the day before, so you don't have to wander around the station area in the dark with your luggage looking for the bus stop.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
296 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location for two nights followed by a very early flight

Thanks for all the advice, we have gone for the airport hotel option, the Hilton are running a 40% off promotion so the rooms were €126 a night, have a shuttle downtown and the advantage of rolling out of bed almost into the check in on the Sunday morning, yes it's the 07.00 one to LGW.

Thanks again