We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting an apartment question

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Renting an apartment question

For those of you who have rented an apartment in Rome, what were the pros and cons? Did you find that you missed the services that a hotel can provide (directions, tour reservations, dinner suggestions)? Did you rent on your first visit, or only after you knew the area and how to get around. Would you recommend that a first time visitor rent an apartment or stay in a hotel?

This is our first trip to Rome and we'd like to stay in the Trevi/Pantheon area. The hotels seem pretty pricey, but the apartments are priced great and offer lots of extra space.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on specific companies to use. I've been looking at sleepinitaly.com. Thanks!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting an apartment question

First of all, a lesson I've learned traveling to Europe over the last 12 years: If you're staying anywhere more than 3 nights, definately rent an apartment if possible.

Pros for renting an apartment: MUCH more space, a better feeling of the neighborhood, ability to keep drinks cold and make ice, ability to make yourself large or small meals if you tire of eating out every meal or the weather is bad, not having housekeeping wake you up if you decide to sleep in, not having to rush to make it to the hotel breakfast, ability to do your laundry if the apartment has a washer and dryer, and most importantly, the money you will save!

Cons: You are usually only provided with one or two sets of towels per person for your rental period, you have to clean up after yourself, if you get to the apartment and don't like it you can't ask to see another room like in a hotel (do your research).

As you can see, the pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion. Also, in Rome, I think the apartments are in much better locations than most of the hotels.

This is the second year in a row that we've rented an apartment in Rome for our first week, go elsewhere for a week or so, then come back to Rome for 1 night , staying in a hotel before flying home.

Both times our apartments were spacious, wonderful locations and well priced and our hotels out of the way, small (and I mean small) and very overpriced.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting an apartment question

Hi iluvvegas,

i absolutely agree with the previous post.

Apartment is much more comfortable than an hotel’s room . I don’t think central location is a must. Distances in Rome are ridicoulus and transport are so easy and cheap. I personally choose a place just outside Rome, in the wine area, where even the Pope has his summer residence. It is located at 300 mt upon the sea level. From there you can easily reach the city as well as many other beautiful place around (lakes, mountaines, beach, medieval towns) and expecially in summer is enjoyable go back there and get some nice fresh air with any AC needs.

Accomodation is in a wooden cottage, very comfortable and cosy.

I would warmly suggest it!! It’s called “Il Colle degli Ulivi – www.eyl.it”. There you can rent your own private cottage as well as to get a B&B service. If You look for the cottage you can ask for cleaning service and different set of towles. Price is unbeatable and service is great. With only 100 euros you can rent the whole cottage which is comfortable for 4 persons and not additional fee for cleaning at the end of your journey. Hopin it helped. Rgds, Anne (hotptt@breakthru.com)

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting an apartment question

Hi there

I have to agree with all tat2dhelen said, we have just come back from Rome, did my homework on TA and chose the Campo Dei Fiori area (Donarelli Ricci, Via Giulia) the apartment was exactly as shown, the area superb, I requested, central but quiet, it was both, couldn't fault it. Booked with www.sleepinitaly.com who were very helpful and their price for the same apartment was quite a bit cheaper. I want to go back and would choose this apartment again, it allowed a lot more flexibility than an hotel. If you'd like more details please ask

Regards

Barbara

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting an apartment question

Our apartment on this trip was right on Campo dei Fiori, sleeps 4, well priced. Rented thru Romecityapartments.com and everything was great.

Last year rented thru Rentalinrome.com, a studio in the Navonna area. That company was also pretty good to work with, but I like romecityapartments selection better.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting an apartment question

Thank you for all your input and suggestions! I appreciate all the replies. We are definitely going to do more research, and will probably end up renting an apartment. They look so much more comfortable than the hotels!

If anyone else has a specific recommendation on a rental company (whether a good one to use, or a bad one to stay away from), please continue to post your comments!

Thanks again!

Malta
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting an apartment question

Reading these posts gives me heart. We booked an apartment for our stay in September through www.homelidays.com. At first, we were still somewhat apprehensive about not going for hotel comforts. The savings were huge, and it was difficult to find a room for four. A major advantage of an apartment is that you can pack light and wash your clothes half way through your vacation. I only hope to enjoy our Apartment stay in Rome as much as the previous posters did.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting an apartment question

another source for apartments and b&b's in italy is www.caffelletto.it

we rented an apt through them early this year... and after only one night, there was a family situation that required us to leave immediately... we just assumed that we would have to pay for the entire 6 nights that we reserved, but the woman we dealt with at caffelletto (spoke perfect english) fought on our behalf and got five nights refunded to us! we couldn't believe it... so, that's our only experience with this company but it was a good one. i would try them again next time we need longer-term accomodations in italy