We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

We are visiting Rome in mid July and are planning a day trip to Pompeii, i'm looking for advice about the best way to do it.

Are there organised tours from Rome? (bus ect) and what price range are they? Or would you suggest just getting the train (that's what we plan to do).

I've read many reviews about visiting Pompeii and a lot of people are mentioning that it's a good idea to hire a guide. How does one go about hiring a guide for the day? What is the price range? Is it even necessary?

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

Hi again Danhnq

Yes, there are bus tours - Viator, Dark Rome and other re-sellers conduct them. It is essentially a 12 hour day (sometimes longer) with generally only about 1.5-2 hours at the Pompeii site. I just checked Dark Rome and they charge $169 (Australian dollars) for this tour. It's cheaper to do it yourself by far and you'll have more time at Pompeii.

As for a guide, they are at the main entrance. All guides these days are licensed and very informed. If your knowledge of Pompeii is limited, I would recommend a guide. I've never used one but have overheard them and they certainly know their stuff. They cost about 10 euros per person and usually wait until they have a group of about 10 before they take you inside. Don't bother using the audio guide - it is too out of date.

A ticket costs 11 euros and the site opens at 8.30am. Try and get there as early as possible as around 10-11am the coach trips and cruise ship tours all start arriving and the place gets very crowded. Water bottles, hats and sunscreen - essential! Not much shade and mid July will be baking hot. There is a café inside the site if you're desperate for a coffee but having never eaten there, I cant comment on the food.

Here is a site map to get you oriented. Try and print it out before you leave as they often run out of maps at the ticket office.

pompeiisites.org/allegati/Pompei_12051505333…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

Viator is a reseller, but Dark Rome is a tour operator. Some of the tours sold by Viator are actually operated by Dark Rome. When buying a tour from Viator, you should try to find out who actually operates the tour, because some operators are much better than others. (I haven't heard any complaints about Dark Rome.)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

@ Kathy W

Thanks for the info, 1.2-2hrs at Pompeii, wow that is much less time that we want to spend. So it looks like we'll book it all separately.

Have you visited Vesuvius? Is it possible to combine Pompeii and Vesuvius in one day?

Thanks for the information.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

This is a great site to look at all the options on one page ...

www.rometoolkit.com/tours/naples_pompeii.htm

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

There is a bus from the Pompeii Scavi to Vesuvius. If you want to see both in one day, get a very early start.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

Hi Dan

Yes it is possible to do both however I have not visited the summit of Vesuvius - to me it looks spectacular from ground level so I've not felt the need - but hey, many people go to the top and enjoy the view so why not, if that's what you want to do? There is a bus service from Pompeii to Vesuvius although there have been some problems of late:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k…

This is the schedule for this bus service - but I don't know if it is running - perhaps check with the Pompeii/Vesuvius reviews just before you leave home for up to date information.

eavbus.it/export/…Pompei_-_Vesuvio.pdf

7. Re: A day trip to Pompeii when staying in Rome.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:19