We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 wonderful days in june

california
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
5 wonderful days in june

We (2 adults, 2 teens) spent 5 fabulous days in Rome in June. Most of my planning was based on tips I got from this board - so a big THANK YOU from all of us, you made our vacation ! Below is my trip report - hope somebody benefits from it, as I did from the posts I read.

1. We booked airport transfers using Romeshuttlelimousine.com. Pros : they were prompt both ways, and relatively inexpensive (50 euros each way, Rome Cabs was not available and wanted more). Cons : older cars (did not bother me); one of the drivers spoke no Englih (did not bother me); the driver who picked us up at the airport had a tiny sign with my name on it, so it took a while to find him (other pickups held up much bigger signs that were easier to spot).

2. We rented an apartment (300 Via del Croso, booked from Sleep in Italy). FANTASTIC location (within 50 feet of Piazza Venezzia, so walking distance everywhere). FANTASTIC service (the owner was waiting for us when we arrived, explained everything in the apartment to us, gave us tips on the neighborhood, was super friendly; apartment itself was spotless, roomy, and a/c worked well as did everything else). Con : the apartment was slightly noisy (4th floor with lift, and insulated windows, but even then there was some traffic noise that could bother a lite sleeper). I slept a couple of times on the living room couch because that room was quiter (comfy couch). Even so, the location was FANTASTIC so I was happy with the apartment.

3. On our first day, I booked a walking tour of the Spanish Steps / Pantheon / Trevi / Piazza Navona. This worked well - having a pre-booked tour forced us to stay awake and we got adjusted to jetlag quicker. The tour was nice (only one other family, super friendly guide who spoke excellent English and bonded nicely with my teens).

4. Con : the tour guide recommended a couple of restaurants (as "great food, not so touristy"). We tried both, and they were "meh". Food was okay, but in retrospect I think we would have preferred "touristy restaurants with ok food" for the touristy atmosphere (maybe heresay on this board, but our family was in uniform agreement that ok food in Piazza Navona was preferred to better food in a hole-in-the-wall with no tourists). Our kids wanted to dine where they could see the fountain and watch people buying the fake Prada purses !

5. Daughter had a hamstring injury a few weeks before trip (ouch!). SO some tips

- Metro station at Spanish Steps has an elevator to the top (you do not have to climb !).

- The Colosseum has elevators to the second level & also to the underground area, and if you ask nicely they let your injured teen use them

6. Colosseum : underground tour was great, and having pre-booked it was well worth it (long lines otherwise). Plus the info provided by the guide enhanced the experience.

7. Palatine Hill : skip it if you want to save walking (we went, and our injured teen suffered from the walk, and it was not that spectacular).

8. No decent food between Colosseum and Palatine Hill - had to eat at the food truck.

9. Forum : need some kind of guide. We had Rick Steves audio guide. It was a little hard to fidn teh places he mentioned, but his descriptions were good. Without some type of guide, the forum will just look like a pile of rubble - if you splurge on one guide in Rome, do it at the Forum.

10, Pantheon : spectacular. Also the neighbourhood around the Pantheon is fantastic for atmosphere, food, and random wandering (and it was only 5 minutes from our apartment).

11. Sistine Chapel + St. Peter's : spectacular. Enough said - everybody already knows these are special places. We took the 3-hour tour (booked online), which was great (and saved us the long lines). The Raphael Rooms in particular - WOW !

12. We decided not to climb St. Peters (injured teen). But then we decided to take a recommendation from this board and walk 20 minutes out of the way for lunch. Food was good, but do not do it - eat the touristy food instead and save the walk ! And then we walked to Castle San Angelo and climbed to the top. Fantastic view, but my girl was in pain that night from all the walking and climbing. Next time : cabs and eat at the touristy places !

13. Despar was great for stocking up on stuff in the apartment, but nowhere near a Safeway. We are spoiled in California !

14. So my teens (17 and 14) had wine or beer with every dinner. I was reluctant the first time about my 14 year old, but the waiter said "you are in Italy, let him enjoy". Also he is almost 15 and is actually taller and stronger than me already, so he looks older. Anyway - I let them have a glass with each meal (I would rather they drink with me and de-mystify it). They enjoyed it, and they know that back home the rules are different.

15. We did a day trip to Florence. I know some on this board tried to dissuade us, but it was FANTASTIC. And not hard at all - the fast trains are great. We pre-booked in advance for teh low fare (19 euros), bought a family Amici card for annual membership to the Uffizi (which gave us free admissions everywhere and skip-the-lines access).

16. Florence is FANTASTIC. The first place we visited was the Duomo - which is spectacular from the outside. And the most memorable thing of all is David in the Accademia - WOW ! For the Uffizi, we had the Rick Steves audio guide which took us to the highlights in about 2 hours (yes you can spend all day inside the Uffizi, but 2 hours was just perfect for us). Then we made a mistake : we climbed to the top of MichaelAngelo Plaza. Next time : take a cab (especially if you an injured teen with you !).

17. Lost my return train tickets in Florence. Were they stolen from my pocket or did I drop them ? In panic. Realized I had saved a PDF on my phone. Asked the info desk, she said PDF was sufficient. Realized phone was DEAD. More panic. Luckily the train has a charging port and I had packed my charger and a converter. Phew !

18. Campo di Fiero : nice atmosphere, perfect for last day in Rome. Putting our hands in the mouth of the oracle : okay, so we were tourists. Should have bought that leather belt - I hesitated, and now I regret not buying it (wife and daughter are thrilled with the fake Prada !).

19. Churches around the Pantheon : beautiful (St, Ignacio, Sophia Minerva), They had a free concert in St Ignacio which I attended - the atmosphere and the church was just gorgeous. Perfect for our last night in Rome.

20. Leaving Rome : we went from Rome to Paris for 5 days (see the Paris forum form my Paris trip report, I will type that next).

And THANK YOU again to the regulars on this forum, you made my vacation planning so much easier !

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

Thanks so much I really enjoyed your report/

Woodbine, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

Awesome report. My parents too always let us have a glass of vino when we were teens, fond memories! We have been to Rome many times and the first meal of the day when we arrive is always at the same cheesy tourist restaurant in front of The Pantheon, what can I say! A glass of wine, some pasta, and yes pinch me we are finely here!

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

Loved this report and how you have it bulleted out and pros and cons. We are going for the first time in october. you have also stated what else I have read about IF we are going to splurge on guide do it at the forum. I was going to use the Rick Steve's free downloads..but have been looking at a trip that would be the underground with the forum too. So thanks for confirming.

How was the Rick steves other places..like Pantheon etc. Did you use it there.

Also what is Despar ...as we too rented an apartment.

The tour at The Vatican ..who was that with...

Do you mind sharing who you took your tours with.

california
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

Sistine chapel and St Peters tour i booked on the vatican website (3 hours)

Spanish steps to Pantheon was the Walks of Italy twilight tour

Despar is a grocery store. Find your apartment in google maps. Then enter supermarket in the "find nearby" box.

Rick Steves audio guides we found were great everywhere except Versailles. We used it for Pantheon, Forum, Florence

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

Thanks so much. We are using walks of Italy for some tours. We were thinking of using them for the Vatican one also.

Appreciate the suggestion on grocery store lookup

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

great post and while sorry for your daughter very helpful for me.......I have a bad hip that requires replacemetn when we get back - am actually somewhat similar where I can get around fine just not up for climbing the hill :)

thanks on the tour advice for the Forum - I think we are going to go ahead and book the same firm we booked for the Vatican - Imago Artis - they have great reviews and you can do a three hour minimum tour of the Forum/Coliseum

Thanks!

David

7. Re: 5 wonderful days in june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:19