We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

Hi,

My flight is arriving at the Fiumicino airport, terminal 2, at 5:35pm on 19th August Monday. I will be staying at Excel Roma Montemario at Via deli Scolopi. Could anyone please advise how to reach there by public transport and the approximate cost of it? Also, how much would be the taxi fare?

Thanks in advance.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

That hotel is well outside the walls so a taxi will be on the meter and not on the fixed rate. You're not too far from CIA airport and not close to any of the sites in Rome. You might want to change hotels to something closer or you'll spend a lot of time and money getting to and from the hotel every day.

It looks like your hotel is close to the Monte Mario stop and that there are several bus stops nearby. You may want to email the hotel to get exact directions for getting there from the airport. I'm sure there is a bus that stops nearby but I don't know which it would be.

donna

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

Many thanks Donna! I booked the hotel somewhat imprudently without taking into account the location of the sites but thankfully it is a refundable deal. Could you kindly advise the locations closer to the sites (I have already bought tour tickets to Colosseum, the Forum etc., Borghese Gallery, Capitolini Museum and the Vatican, of which the last one is claimed to be 5mins bus ride away from this hotel) that may help in my hotel search?

Also I was meaning to post this question separately, I booked the underground tour of the Colosseum but it looks like that doesn't cover a tour of the Forum and the Palatino, which I read here can be quite confusing.

1. Is it advisable to book a tour for those two and more importantly, is there a tour just for those two excluding the colosseum?

2. Also, seeing that the underground Colosseum tour is slated to begin at 4:21pm, can I enter the Forum and the Palatino a couple of hours earlier to view those (assuming I will remain on the existing plan which doesn't include a tour of these areas) before beginning the Colosseum tour?

Sorry for all the queries, I'm trying to squeeze 3 cities in one trip and it is getting a bit confusing and difficult to keep track of everything.

Many thanks.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

looks like the hotel is more like 5 mins away by the Papal Helicoptor

you need a hotel in the centre of old Rome so you can walk everywhere

I am certain you are trying to see too much

although seeing things is one thing but going on endless tours will just make your brain explode and you wont enjoy anything

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

Use venere.com to find hotels. You should look in the termini, pantheon, navona, colosseum, and trevi areas. These will all put you close to the sites. There is something for every budget and the reviews on venere are written by people who have completed a stay so they are pretty accurate.

As for tours of the forum and palatine hill, you can join on right on site at the ticket office. They cost 5 euros each. Unfortunately, if you booked the colosseum underground tour for 22.50 online you won't be able to visit the forum and palatine hill before the underground tour. You'll be able to visit it after the tour or even the next day if you wish.

Donna

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

Can't thank you enough Donna for your helpful and informative advices.

@mecon #3 I will take note of your advice and try to contact the Pope on his direct line to arrange for that helicopter. I am staying 5 days in Rome and managed to spread one trip a day. Does it still seem a lot? My only wish is that it doesn't get excruciatingly hot, though I have braved 38-42 degree Celsius before.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

I think Pope Francis has traded in his helicopter for a Fiat 500.

7. Re: Transportation advice from Fiumicino T2 please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19