We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night after week in Tuscany- Hassler or Cavalieri?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Last night after week in Tuscany- Hassler or Cavalieri?

We have one night in Rome at the end of our trip and I'm trying to decide between the Hotel Hassler and the Waldorf Cavalieri just outside of town. We have two girls, ages 9 & 11, and would like to have one last special family night before the trip ends. Both hotels can accommodate us with adjoining rooms. Realistically, we won't be doing much sightseeing, as we'll be driving back from Tuscany that day, probably arriving Rome around lunchtime. Our flight home is the next morning at 10:30 a.m. We'd like to just relax and enjoy the afternoon and have a nice/fun last authentic Roman meal out. Is the Hassler near anywhere interesting that we could kick around in the afternoon or before/after dinner? And are there good restaurants within walking distance? I'm thinking that would be the big advantage over staying at the Cavalieri since it is somewhat isolated. But it also seems like we could just chill out at the Cavalieri, so not sure. Price is almost exactly the same.

Also, we are spending one night in Rome at the beginning of the trip at the Hotel Spendide Royal. We'll have a full day and a half of sightseeing then with our guide, for what it's worth.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 15:37
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last night after week in Tuscany- Hassler or Cavalieri?

Well, 1.5 days in Rome is really not much time at all so I would choose the Hassler as it is closer to the center - you are right near the Spanish Steps and if you look at a map you will see that you are easily in walking distance to many areas in the center of Rome. You could definitely enjoy that afternoon, evening and night in Rome walking to enjoy the Pantheon, Piazza Navona - are beautiful at night as are the other wonderful piazzas.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last night after week in Tuscany- Hassler or Cavalieri?

We stayed at the Cavalieri for our last night when we were in Italy last year. Although the Cavalieri is very nice, I REALLY didn't like being that far out of town. One of the things I love in Rome is being able to walk out of the hotel and wander the streets and see the sights. For that reason I would choose the Hassler (actually, I would choose the Portrait Suites because it is my favorite hotel in Rome). The Hassler is right near the Spanish Steps if I remember correctly, so you can stroll that area, or up to the Borghese.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last night after week in Tuscany- Hassler or Cavalieri?

Hassler, hands down. It's right at the top of the Spanish Steps. Down the street is the wonderful Monster House (Palazzetto Zuccaro), which your girls will enjoy. Stroll down the Spanish Steps to Bernini's old boat fountain, then turn right and head up to Piazza del Popolo, also hitting the nearby Via Margutta, one of the prettiest streets in Rome. Then head down the Corso, veering off for the Pantheon, then head to Piazza Venezia, and the outside of the Colosseo, the Arch of Constantine, the Imperial Forums, with glimpses of the Roman Forum. In the evening, hit Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiori. On your way back to the hotel, go to the Trevi Fountain. You can actually see many sights from the outside, popping into churches where you can. While strolling, sample some gelato (close to the Hassler you have two good choices, the new outpost of Fata Morgana at Via Laurina 10 and near the Trevi is San Crispino at Via della Panetteria 42 -- you may have to try one after lunch and one after dinner!) and soak it all in. Hassler has an elegant bar, which we love, and the Michelin-starred restaurant, Imago. If that's not your thing, quite a few good restaurants in the area, including Paladium (terrific wine bar near the Spanish Steps) and Colline Emiliane (near the Trevi).

4. Re: Last night after week in Tuscany- Hassler or Cavalieri?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:17