We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

P S
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

Looking for a good spot to tell my girlfriend the story of Romulus and Remus. Hoping to find a single spot that has a view of:

the Alban Hills (where they were born in Alba Longa) 20 km SE of town

the Forum Boarium (where the fig tree snagged their basket in the river) at the eastern foot of Ponte Palatino

the Aventine Hill (where Remus wanted to found the city) just to the south

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

you will need a local to give you more specific details

what about the Campidoglio

there is a big statue of Romulus and Remus there

and there are good viewing positions

not sure if the view includes what you want to see

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,408 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

I can't think of any place in town where you'd see the Alban Hills, so take that out of the equation.

The Forum Boarium and Aventine are easier but not Palatine at the same time. Maybe you could do a short walk and talk? Start at the temples of Forum Boarium and walk toward Circus Maximus (you'll pass right by the "mouth of truth" at Santa Maria in Cosmedin), from where you can see both Palatine and Aventine. The entire walk is only between 1/10 - 2/10ths of a mile.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 12:44
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

I'm not sure there's a place in Rome where you can see all three. You can see the Alban Hills fromPiazza Garibaldi on the Janiculum (Gianicolo) Hill when the air is clear. In theory, you should be able to see the Foro Boario and the Aventine Hill from there as well, if they're not blocked by buildings or trees. Here is a photo I took from Piazza Garibaldi:

https:/…

As you can see, the outlines of the hills are barely visible, because of haze, which is very common in Rome. (Haze is a euphemism for air pollution.) I can see the dome of the Pantheon in the photo, and the Foro Boario is very nearby, although I don't seem to be able to pick it out. The Aventine Hill should be visible as well, although I don't think it's in the photo.

Another possible spot would be the top of the Vittoriano monument, but I've never been up there, so I don't know exactly what you can see from there.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

Els, you can definitely see the Alban Hills from Piazza Garibaldi, when the air is clear. I think the hardest thing to see from any overlook would be the Foro Boario. You could at least point in its general location and say, "It's behind that dome", or whatever.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

If you take the underground tour at the colosseum they finish up on the 4th level where you might be able to see.

B.

United States
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

Here is my photo from the Janiculum (Gianicolo) Hill in which you can see the hills.

tabphotos.blogspot.com/2013/07/rome.html

TAB

7. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 08:35
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

There are fabulous views in all directions from the rooftop terrace at the Capitoline Museums. (Additionally, there is a lovely café up there, too, and the tables are covered. A nice spot to stop for wine and snacks.)

I can highly, highly recommend the Capitoline Museums. Was there in June and the place was practically deserted! Loved it! Fascinating. And great views. (I loved the view of the Jewish Synagogue and Teatro Marcello from the terrace, fyi.)

Good luck!

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

And.. PS.. This statue can be viewed at the Capitoline Museums... :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitoline_Wolf

10. Re: Where is the best viewpoint near the Palatine Hill in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:18