We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

C M
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

Have one day to visit the sights of Rome with 5 children. We want an open bus tour and to see the Vatican, Colluseum and Trevi Fountain at the very least. Cant work out what we need to book tickets to visit and how much they are.

does anyone know of a company that you can book the tour and tickets all in one?

If not then any advice would be great thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

When you say one day do you mean the whole day or just a matter of hours? If it's only hours I don't think you'll have time to do an open top bus tour, trevi fountain, Vatican and colosseum. Also, by Vatican do you mean the museums, basilica or both? This could take most of the day so you probably will only want to visit the basilica.

You can book entry tickets to the colosseum by following the link in the Top questions in the upper right of this page. The trevi fountain is free as is St. Peter's basilica.

Grab a good map and a guide book in order to best plan your day.

Donna

C M
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

thanks Donna :) yes it is a whole day so want to pack as much in as poss. the bus tour 110 seems a good value one have you any knowledge of this one?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

Sorry, I don't use the tourist buses.

By whole day, how many hours will you have?

Donna

C M
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

but if we dont do the tour how are things situated to get to Trevi, colloseum and Basilica by walking with 5 children? A nightmare or do-able??!

C M
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

whole day - 9 am to 9pm

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

I guess it depends on the age of the children. I was there last week with kids ranging from 6 to 21 and had no problems at all walking the city the whole day. It depends on the kids and the itinerary. Your best bet is to get a guide book and map out what you want to do. The city is very compact and walking is the best way to get around. If you start at the colosseum it's about a 15-20 minute walk (depending on the kids) to the trevi fountain. From there you can walk to the spanish steps and catch the metro to the Vatican. It's all very easy.

Donna

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

While Rome is fairly compact, you're going to be doing a ton of walking no matter what. I'm inclined to agree that with 5 children in tow the HoHo bus might just be the best option.

Note that your ticket for the Colosseum also includes the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,716 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

The HOHO bus is pretty expensive for that many people, and while it can get close to St. Peter's basilica and the Colosseum, you won't see Trevi or most other key sites from the bus as it can't get close enough.

I'd consider the total amount you'd spend on the HOHO, then look at how many cab rides that same money will buy you. There are only one or two long (as in two miles) distances in central Rome that most tourists would be covering, so cabs might be a better option for you, with walking in between.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 19:32
C M
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

FAB!! that is such a help thanks Donna :)

C M
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Idiots guide to Rome in a day please!!

Thank you :)