We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip arrange advice

Boston,
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip arrange advice

I am going to Barcelona - nice - Rome, how many days should I do for each city?

Currently I have Bar(3), nice(2) and rome(5.5),

Shall I do b(4), nice(2) and rome(4)

Or

B(3) , nice(3) and Rome (4.5),

I am thinking of going Pompeii if time is too much , or visit Barcelona outskirts if time is too much, which one is better?

Thanks!

Heidi

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,092 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$412.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,855 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.40*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,248 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip arrange advice

it takes 2 nights to get one full day and you burn up most of a day moving cities -- with this amount of time I would split it evenly between Rome and Barcelona and fly open jaw and fly between the two cities on a low budget airline. In Rome I would do a day trip to Ostia Antica rather than trekking clear to Pompeii, although you could do that in a long day trip if it were a priority. There are nice day trips from each city.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip arrange advice

Looks like you have about 10 days in your plan. I don't think it wise to do 3 cities in 3 countries with only 10 days. You'll lose a day when you go from Barcelona to Nice and another when you go from Nice to Rome. That leaves you wish 8 days to split between 3 cities. If you need to return to Barcelona for the flight home that leaves you with 7 days for the 3 cities.

I would cut out at least one city and divide the time between the other two.

Donna

Boston,
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip arrange advice

I am actually arriving Barcelona in the afternoon of 2nd of September and leave Rome on the 13th. taking an evening flight out from Barcelona on the 5th of September at 5ish pm and taking a flight out of nice to Rome around noon time , do I lose those two days?

how hard is traveling to the airport from these cities?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip arrange advice

You need to be at the airport about 2 hours prior. Give yourself at least 45 minutes to an hour to get there plus the time needed to check out of your hotel, say an hour total. That's three hours. Add the flight time and another hour to get from the airport to the hotel and check in and that's at least 5 hours if your flight is an hour or less. Traveling takes a lot more time than people realize. With this itinerary you'll lose a day when you change countries.

Not counting the day you arrive and the day you leave you have 10 days in country. At least two of those will be used for travel if you stick to this itinerary. That leaves 8 days for 3 cities. For me, that's not enough time in any of them. I would pick, at the most, two countries but, honestly, I would pick one country and stay there in the same city taking day trips if desired. Europe is a big place and 10 days is not a lot of time.

donna

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip arrange advice

I would also skip Nice................agreed with all the responses on settling on two destinations

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip arrange advice

If you have already booked flights which it sounds like you have, then there is a penalty to change.

If you can change I think one main city with side trips in one country makes most sense.

If you split 3 cities then Nice deserves 3 days since there are a lot of close by towns to visit.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 00:23
7. Re: Trip arrange advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20