We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for 9 days in Rome??

Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do for 9 days in Rome??

I'll be in Rome in September for 9 days, I want to know what were your favorite things to do and see there?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for 9 days in Rome??

We go to Rome frequently, and do a lot of off-the-beaten-tourist-path things that avoid the big crowds. We like the modern art museums MACRO and MAXXI, and many of the lesser-visited museums like the Centrale Montemartini and Crypta Balbi. While there are traditional so-called "must see" sights (which are, in most cases, pretty spectacular) they are often crowded, and we like to alternate those types of visits with ones that are more relaxed. There's also a lot to do "on your own," such as exploring Rome's WWII history, or modern architecture.

Websites for the places mentioned above:

http://www.museomacro.org

maxxisearch.fondazionemaxxi.it/maxxi/home/

http://en.centralemontemartini.org

…beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-…

Obviously, your itinerary should be based on your specific interests, after you do some research. Here are some sample 7 day itineraries to give you ideas:

ricksteves.com/plan/…rome3.htm

…ninemsn.com/internationalinsiders/rome/6554…

world66.com/europe/…7_day_itinerary

Some great blogs for ideas: Rome the Second Time at http://romethesecondtime.blogspot.com (in particular look at the RST Top 40 countdown on the bottom right) and www.BuzzinRome.com (great for current exhibitions, free concerts, etc.) Perhaps add in a day on the Appian Way -- http://www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/ -- and a day trip or two (for suggestions on day trips, see Top Questions About Rome -- What are some good day trips from Rome? on the top right of the TA forum page).

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for 9 days in Rome??

September won't be as crowded as, say July, so I wouldn't worry about the crowds too much.

Besides all the usual places, I think many people miss the most beautiful churches in the world. (Everyone visits St. Peter's but skips many other incredible churches.)

Santa Prassede (mosaics and marble floors are stunning; relic to be seen here is part of the marble post that Jesus was tied to for his flogging, shortly before his crucifixion.)

Saint John Lateran (one of the four basilicas in Rome. I find St. John more beautiful than St. Peter's. Personal preference, I guess. Also at this church you can see another claimed relic- the stairs that Jesus walked up on the way to his crucifixion. Stunning, stunning church.)

Santa Maria in Trastavere- (mosaics that are so incredible, they actually caused me to cry. The neighborhood is also terrific. Stop and have lunch with some of the best views in Rome.)

San Luigi dei Francesi (this is the French church in Rome and is located between Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Beautiful church that includes three must-see Caravaggios in one of the chapels to the left of the altar. Amazing!)

Saint Paul Outside the Wall (an easy stop off the Metro B line, this basilica is unlike the other three, in that it does not have dozens of chapels lining the nave. It is, however, marvelous just the same. Huge. The woodwork on the confessionals is worth the trip alone. Again, here, mosaics are stunning. There is a lovely café on property, also. Food was good and reasonably priced.)

Saint Agnes in Agony (one of the most beautiful small churches in Rome. Right in Piazza Navona. The marble is so varied, it will cause your jaw to drop.)

San Ignazio di Loyola (the marble reliefs and columns here are fantastic. look for the "fake dome" painted in the ceiling. a real dome was planned, but money ran out. the "fake" dome was then painted in its place. really unusual! Beautiful church and right on the path between the Pantheon and the Trevi fountain.)

Additionally, I highly recommend the Palazzo Doria-Pamphilj. It is an old palace just 2 minutes walk from the Piazza Venezia. E11 entrance fee includes audio tour by a descendent of the original owners. Fascinating. Half the tour is the palace rooms, the last half is gallery of 400+ paintings/statues the family collected over the last several hundred years. Excellent respite from Rome heat, and never crowded!

Ostia Antica is a 1/2-hour train ride from Rome on the regional train. Absolutely terrific site of well-preserved port city that is a must-see. Do take food and drink and have a picnic half-way through the visit. To do the site justice, plan 2-3 hours minimum!

With all sites, do check your guidebook for opening days/times. Many churches are closed in the early afternoon and re-open after 3 or 4. A good guidebook will be invaluable; I love the DK Eyewitness Guide to Rome. I am a visual person and it is full of color graphics, pictures and excellent maps.

With 9 days, I would also highly encourage you to get a 7-day unlimited transportation pass. (You can buy these at any tobacchi shop.) You only need to validate it on your first use. It will then have the expiration date stamped on the back. You don't need to validate it any more (for instance, on trams and buses), but you will need it to get through turnstyles for the Metro and Regional trains. This 7-day pass allows you unlimited travel on all trams, trains and buses within the city limits, plus some sites outside (via regional train. Ostia Antica is one of those places you can get to using this pass).

Have a great trip. You will find that, even with 9 days, you won't be able to see everything that is worthwhile! :)

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for 9 days in Rome??

Let me clarify- not all buses... Rome city buses. (Don't try to hop on any of the hop on/hop off sightseeing buses with this pass. haha) :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,915 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do for 9 days in Rome??

How did this turn out for you? What did you end up doing?

5. Re: What to do for 9 days in Rome??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:17