We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Rome - where to start?!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Rome - where to start?!

Hi all!

I've just come across these forum discussions on Rome and they are all very helpful. I've read a few and have sussed out a few things, but just wondering if I could ask some more general questions and perhaps get some newbie advice?

I'm visiting Rome for a week in September with my partner and we will be staying in an apartment in Trieste. I've never been to Italy before so I need some general tips.

What tickets would you recommend we buy for public transport? We will be using this as our main method of transport for exploring the city for a week and hoping to jump on and off buses and trains as often as we can. Is there a combination ticket for this? We have looked at the OMNI ticket but as this is only valid for a couple of days we don't think it's appropriate.

What tickets should we book in advance? We know there will be queues for the main attractions so have looked into buying in advance but we've had a couple of problems with buying on the official websites. I believe the official website for the Colusseum is:www.coopculture.it

I also believe the official website for the Vatican is: biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do - is this right for both?

On both we are having trouble selecting the reduced tickets (we are from the EU and in our early 20's) and for some reason it won't process our request, we only want tickets for entry, not tours.

Any other tips on what sites to see or tickets to book in advance?

Also, any tips on supermarkets near by? We have cooking facilities so will be eating in sometimes.

Thanks for your help in advance. I know there will be other topics similar but any advice or a point in a direction would be great! :)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Rome - where to start?!

There are week long transportation passes that you might want to look into. If you think you'll use public transport several times a day it may be worth it to get a pass. If not, just buy as you go.

The omnia card is not worth the price.

For the colosseum website you must use the "buy single" option to buy reduced tickets. You will be asked to prove you qualify for the discount when you pick up your tickets so read the conditions carefully.

For the Vatican museums just continue to click through the options. It will bring up the page with the different ticket options where you can choose the reduced option if you qualify. You will only qualify if you are a student under 26 and can produce a college I.D.

The only other site you may want to pre-book if you intend on visiting it is the borghese gallery. A reservation is required and during high season is sometimes hard to get.

Donna

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,841 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Rome - where to start?!

"I'm visiting Rome for a week in September with my partner and we will be staying in an apartment in Trieste.".. "any tips on supermarkets near by"

Near by what, exactly? A "quartiere" such as Trieste (Q. XVII) is quite a large area! You could try this, using a more specific address: tuttocitta.it/supermercati-e-centri-commerci… (I know that looks wrong but this is what you get filling in/selecting "Roma (RM) Quartiere Trieste" in the first box and "supermercato" in the second, and clicking "trova":

- Tripoli Srl, 140, Via Tripoli - 00199 Roma

- Tuodi, 50/A, Via Asmara - 00199 Roma

- Oviesse, 200/226, Corso Trieste - 00198 Roma

- Punto, 109, Piazza Di Priscilla - 00199 Roma

- Gruppo Coin S.P.A., 200, Corso Trieste - 00198 Roma

- Sma Spa, 107, Via Di Priscilla - 00199 Roma

- Sisa, 112, Via Collalto Sabino - 00199 Roma

- Carrefour Market, 28, Via Tripolitania - 00199 Roma

(+ 10)

Maryland
Level Contributor
420 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Rome - where to start?!

When I look at tickets for the Colosseum they aren't available yet for September. Maybe that is part of the problem you are having?

4. Re: A week in Rome - where to start?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:21