We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Have thought about purchasing tickets for my husband & I to attend an operatic concert on Sept 30th at Castel St. Angelo while we're in Rome.

I've searched here but haven't come up with anything like a review. Have any of you ever been?

How was it? Hopefully, I'll get a response.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Can you provide a link? I don't see anything about opera performances on the official site of Castel Sant'Angelo.

It would be a great place to put on a performance of Tosca!

Edited: 25 July 2013, 11:57
niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Here is the link: eventful.com/rome/…E0-001-058127938-4

Hope it works!

Unfortunately, I assumed it was at Castel St. Angelo but it takes place at a Methodist church on Ponte SantAngelo-think I got thrown by the picture of the castle :) Still seems like it might be worthwhile-would love to surprise husband with tickets!

Any experience of this church' concert performances?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

These concerts are similar to those held in other churches in Rome, such as the Anglican All Saints Church of Via del Babuina, or the American Episcopal St. Paul's within the Walls.

In the case of the Methodist church, the performance consists of a program of popular arias and duets sung by singers in period costume. The singers are usually students or lesser-known professionals. The music is usually of a high standard, but it isn't really an opera. Another problem is that in a church, you may not have a good view of the singers.

You might want to also check out Virtuosi dell'Opera, the group who perform at St. Paul's within the Walls. They sometimes perform in an actual theatre, the Teatro Salone Margherita. They also sometimes perform actual operas, though not in fully staged versions. Here is an example of one of their performances this month:

classictic.com/en/…

I've never gone to one of these performances. The audience would be almost entirely tourists; they leave brochures at all of the hotels.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Thanks for the the information, bvlenci. Think we'd prefer the opera at the Teatro Salone Margherita-La Traviata will be performed during the time we will be in Rome.-will likely get tickets for that.

From the reviews, it is, as you said, almost entirely tourists who attend but that's okay.

Any experience or info. on Roman Nights at Teatro di Marcello? These concerts look interesting-nice setting.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

I had intended to mention the Notte Romane concerts in my previous response, but it slipped my mind when I sent it off. They're usually of a very high standard. There are two different locations, both of which are beautiful. One is the Teatro di Marcello, in the ancient Roman area. The other the Casina delle Civette at Villa Torlonia, on the Via Nomentana. This is just outside of central Rome. If you want to attend the concert at the Teatro di Marcello, make sure you choose a concert in that location.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Bvlenci, I 'm also interetsed in the Ronam Nights concerts but have not yet found anything about the schedules or how/ where to buy tickets. Do you have any advice?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Here is the schedule of all the concerts:

www.tempietto.it/index.php…

I don't see an English version, but it should be fairly easy to decipher. If not, you can paste the URL into translate.google.com .

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Thank you very much, bvlenci.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

Thanks bvlenci, I'll be purchasing tickets shortly for Roman Nights. The classictic.com site seems pretty straightforward-pick your date & # of tickets then fill in the rest of the order form. Soo excited!!

10. Re: Opera concert at Castel St. Angelo-anyone experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:17