We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or should I take a tour/ bus?

My friends are saying that it is dangerous to drive in Italy and that once I get to Pompeii and other places there will be no where to park. Is this true?

If it is safer to take a tour any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

yes, it is very difficult to park in city centers and small towns along the Amalfi coast.

If you are doing both Pompeii and Amalfi, you should consider spending at least 2 nights.... Pompeii is doable as a long day trip, but not the Amalfi coast.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,686 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

If your only driving experience is in the suburbs of Toronto or other major North American cities and you never drive downtown, then it can be dangerous for you to drive along the Amalfi coast. Roads are very narrow and winding. There could be only 2 inches between your car and the wall, with the side mirror folded. If a bus is coming in the opposite direction, you along with dozens of other cars might have to back up for a few hundred meters to let the bus go through.

I had no problem with that and it was not dangerous. Driving a car means I can stop at any nice vantage points and enjoy the view and take pictures. Parking is not a problem during off season. But on weekends and during summer, it will be challenging.

I have done Amalfi coast day trips by bus and rental car from Naples. It is possible.

During the months we were there, our rental car had to be replaced twice due to 2 separate fender benders. The 2nd time we took it to the rental place, 3 other cars were also in for the same reason.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 22:04
Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

It's fairly easy to get to Sorrento from Rome. If you want to visit both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast, I suggest you spend two, or preferably three, nights in Sorrento, which is in between Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast, and both are easily reached from there without a car.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

Pompeii is easy to get to by train from Rome. You switch trains in Naples and the train to Pompeii ends just a short walk to the site of the ruins

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

Public transport to Pompeii & also the Amalfi Coast...Positano etc is soooo easy...I would not consider hiring a car. The Amalfi coastline is incredible, but in my opinion a nightmare to drive, think of a one lane road but it is two-way with buses driving along frequently, sheer cliffs but stunning scenery, & a hassle to park in a lot of the towns.

We have been a few times & used public transport with no problems. Enjoy your trip.

Missy

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
6. Re: Should I rent a car to go to pompeii and Amalfi coast, or...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:20