We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which guided tour do I need in Rome

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which guided tour do I need in Rome

Can someone tell me which attraction(s) is better to go with the tour? I like to plan my own schedule but I know some places is better to go with the tour to save time and at the same time getting more info out of it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

If you say which sites you plan on seeing, people can make suggestions about possible tours.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

I am planning to see Vantican musem, St. Peter's Basilica, Sistime Chapel, Colossem, Rome Forum .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

The Sistine Chapel is part of the Vatican Museums, which you can buy online tickets and tours for if you want to skip the lines (good idea):

http://mv.vatican.va

St. Peter's Basilica does not have an entrance fee but can be part of a tour you can book (see above website); there is a security line to enter which, obviously, one cannot skip but there is no fee for the Basilica.

Tickets for Colosseum is also good for the Forum and Palatine Hill and good to buy that in advance online as well to avoid lines:

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

Thank you. Do i need to join one of the guided local tour? Or online purchase advance tickets is enough? Is there any advantage to be with a guided tour?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,551 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

The only advantage to be on a guided tour is that you get more information than by doing in on your own unless you have a really great guide book with you.

I don't join tours unless they are necessary to get into restricted areas. The choice to join a tour or not is up to you based on how much and what kind of information you're looking for. If you want to join a tour of the vatican or the colosseum you can book them at the official sites Momcat listed.

Donna

Edited: 26 July 2013, 21:27
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

If you look at the two websites I gave you, you will see what your options are for tours through the official websites.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
378 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

Of all these, I think a guide is most necessary for the Roman Forum. A good guide can help make sense of the ruins you're seeing. I don't like carrying a guidebook in the Forum because it takes my attention away from what I'm looking at. I don't like having my nose in a book while trying to experience the ancient ruins. We always try and read up on what we'll be seeing beforehand. We've used Context Rome, Through Eternity, Angel Tours and Daniela Hunt on tours of the Roman Forum.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

Thank you all your information. Any suggestion on local half day or one day tour company? I like to take half day tour and leave the rest of day on my own.

9. Re: Which guided tour do I need in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20