We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off shoot trips from Rome?

Climax, NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Off shoot trips from Rome?

I know the question of day trips from Rome has been asked a hundred times, and i have looked over the results I came across - sooo much information! But I wanted to narrow down our requests for ideas if ya'll don't mind.

We are traveling to London, Paris, and Rome over a 2 week period in late September (yes, fast trip, I know.). We are planning to do a day trip from London to Stonehenge (or Avebury, or somewhere!). And we think we want to do a day trip to Florence from Rome. We were also hoping to do one more day trip from Rome to see as much as we can!

We are totally beach people, and this is our first vacation that isn't to somewhere tropical. And we have nothing beachy planned at all for this trip! I would like to see some of the Italian coastline. I have looked at a couple of the nearby Rome beaches, but a couple of other ideas have come up, too. We don't really fear a long commute (within some reason of course!) we don't want to be totally dependent on a tour group. I have looked at Capri as well as Vernazza. Does anyone have any opinions they could share, or any other ideas? While I'd love something coastal, I am not totally opposed to being swayed either.

We are both 31, fit and active. I will be 23 weeks pregnant, but it will not be a factor to my activity level. Budget wise - we are conscious, but not going to let it limit something we REALLY want to do. We will have very easy access to Termini. Also, it is probably worth noting that we aren't really museum/art people. We do like ruins and exploring, though.

Thank you in advance!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Cookstown, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off shoot trips from Rome?

How about taking the train out to Ostia Antica (the ancient site - a close contender for most interesting set of ruins!) . . . . . and then on out to Ostia Lido (where there's a public beach which is more salubrious than most people give it credit for)? It might be a runner for you. Very inexpensive. Very easy.

Or a day trip to Tivoli (can be reached by train too, or car) . . . . no beach here but could visit Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este (gardens) and, possibly, Villa Gregoriana (well, you ARE both fit and active!).

Or . . . . train again to Frascati?

You will find that you don't have to travel too far from Rome to have several interesting options.

Hope you have a great time!

Chris.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off shoot trips from Rome?

Either Capri or Vernazza take an awfully long time to get to, and therefore I don't think they're suitable for day trips. Once you get to either one, you'll be part of a horde of other tourists. In order to break out of the crowd, you'd need to spend at least one night, preferably two.

There are other coastal spots that are not as spectacular, but more suited to a day trip. Ostia Lido, mentioned above, is the easiest to get to, and it does have stretches with dunes, although no cliffs. Anzio and Nettuno are also easy to get to by train. Sperlonga takes a little longer to get to, because you have to take a bus from the train station, but it's supposed to be prettier than any of the other three I've mentioned.

If you'd be satisfied with a lake instead, Lake Bracciano is nice, and easy to get to from Rome.

You're trying to see an awful lot in a very short time, and at least two of your days will be travel days, with little time for anything else. If I were you, I'd perhaps rethink the coastal Italy idea. Nothing that's near Rome will be in the class of some of the beaches you've surely seen, and maybe not even in the class of beaches in North Carolina. It sounds as though you've decided to break out of the mold on this trip, so why not break out entirely? After all, you wouldn't go to Tahiti and start searching for art museums, cathedrals, or ancient ruins to visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Off shoot trips from Rome?

Try Sperlonga or Santa Marinella, they are just a bit south and north of Rome, respectively. I have never been to either, but I hear they are both lovely beach towns and are fairly easy to get to.

Santa Marinella I believe you can reach with a regional train from the Trastevere station, but i don't remember which train exactly. Sperlonga involves a train to Fondi and then a short bus ride from there.

You do have a very short time for these 3 amazing cities, I would limit your day trips from Rome to one.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 17:37
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off shoot trips from Rome?

Ostia is amazing, easy to get to and worth a day. Check out Rick Steve's FREE audio download. He also has other free audio's which are so helpful.

Climax, NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off shoot trips from Rome?

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like Osita is definitely a place to check out. Any other suggestions?

6. Re: Off shoot trips from Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20