We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip to Rome-help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
3 day trip to Rome-help!

Hello folks,

Myself and my wife have made a last minute decision to go on a holiday to Rome for 3 days next week!.

I need all the help from you all to plan the trip for 3 days..

Can you all please help in arriving at a plan for 3 days with less than week to go!.

One thing that I would like to know is if there are any day trips to Pompei?.

thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day trip to Rome-help!

With 3 days in Rome I would skip Pompeii, there is too much to see in Rome.

Look at this list tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187791-Activiti…

or get a good guide book to give you an idea of what things you would like to see in Rome, there are hundreds of things to choose from, only you know what you will like..... and with 3 days you won't be able to see it all :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day trip to Rome-help!

With just 3 days, you will need to carefully prioritize what you want to see in Rome - as Penny says, there are hundreds of choices and if there are certain sites you do not want to miss, put those at the top of your list; get the guidebook and map (which most guidebooks have but I like having a separate map of the city) so you can plan out your time while there.

Booking tickets online in advance for the Colosseum and the Vatican Museums (which includes the Sistine Chapel) is a good idea as those are the two sites that have the longest lines and with a short trip, you want to bypass those lines - that is, if you decide to visit those sites.

For the Vatican Museums - http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

For the Colosseum: http://www.coopculture.it

Always good to look at the official website (or the guidebook if very current) of anywhere you want to visit to see their opening/closed days, time they open/close, admission prices.

This is a nice site to review for Rome:

http://www.roninrome.com

Edited: 31 July 2013, 00:03
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day trip to Rome-help!

Here are some sample 3 day itineraries that may help you plan:

frommers.com/destinations/…0064020791.html

ricksteves.com/plan/…rome3.htm

…aol.com/articles/how-to-explore-rome-italy-…

reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sight…

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day trip to Rome-help!

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

I have managed to book open ticket valid for 2 days to visit Colossuem, Palatino and Foro Romano.

Does it mean that I can visit these at anytime ?. I am interested in attending the English guided tour at 10:15 on Wednesday. Can I use this ticket for that?

Are there any suggestions for good places to eat?

thanks again

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day trip to Rome-help!

Did you use the print-at-home option? If so, you can visit the sites in any order, on the day of the ticket or the next day. If you didn't use the print-at-home option, you'll have to pick up the ticket at the Colosseum, so it would make sense to visit there first, but you can do so at any time that day or the next day, followed by the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

6. Re: 3 day trip to Rome-help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18