We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
112 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Bus in Rome

Hello All,

I've been in Rome for 3 days now. It is amazing so far, except for the irregularity of the bus service. I tried to estimate the time of bus arrival with google maps, but everytime after waiting for 40 minutes i end up walking, or taking a taxi, because the buses never come.

Does anyone know a good way to plan this? a website, an app or something similar to know an approximate time of the bus schedule and what bus should I take, besides google maps?

Thanks,

Daniel

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus in Rome

Full information on Rome public transport: www.atac.roma.it

The problem is that nobody can predict how long a bus will take on its journey because nobody can predict the Rome traffic. A bus will come eventually, and in time it will reach its destination.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus in Rome

You asked about an app for the Rome us system, There is a free Rome bus app (I have not tried it) -- https:/… (If you are an app person, I've gathered a lot of Rome-based apps on my Pinterest page but can't link it here due to TA policy).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus in Rome

There is an Android app called Probus, which has a lot of useful functions. It looks to me as though it has a lot more than the one mentioned by SpanishSteps, which, by the way, has awful reviews.

Here's the link to Probus:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Or you can find it in the Google Play store. They're supposed to have an English version, but, since my operating system is Italian, they won't let me see it.

Probus lets you add bus stops to your favorites list, using the number of the stop, found at the lower left on each bus stop sign. Then, when you tap the number of a bus stop, it shows you all the buses that are arriving and how far away each one is. It also finds the nearest bus stop to where you are if you have GPS turned on.

You can get the same functions, and even more, from the mobile web site of the Rome public transportation authority, the ATAC. On my phone and tablet, I use Opera Mini browser, which lets me put tiles on my initial page with fast links to web pages. The mobile web site of the ATAC is one of those I've put there. I can access it as quickly as an app, just by opening the browser and clicking on the tile. The website is muovi.roma.it . On the initial page, it lets you change your language to English.

This page is in many ways superior to the app. If you enter a bus route number, it not only shows you all the stops, but it shows you where all the buses are at the moment. For example, if I enter the bus route "64", it tells me, now at midnight, that there's a bus at Piazza Venezia, and another at Via del Plebiscito, and a third at Argentina. In fact, they seem to be rather bunched up, and they're probably the last runs of the night. If I click on the stop I'm at, for example, Piazza Navona, it tells me that the nearest bus is at Argentina right now and should be here in four minutes.

If I enter the number of a bus stop, it tells me all the buses that stop there, where they're going, and how far away they are (both the number of stops away and a time estimate).

Both of the apps and also the mobile web site require an internet connection to give you information in real time. There is supposed to be free wifi, just for using a few information websites, at bus stops, but I've never had time to connect before my bus came. However, I have an Italian phone with data services, and would normally use that.

4. Re: Bus in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:18