We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

Dear forum members,

my flight arrives to Fiumicino at 8.00 AM and my next flight leaves Fiumicino at 2.50 PM. Is a trip to the city reasonable and doable? I already read about different ways how to get to the city. Which mode of transport do you recommend and at which station should I exit?

Thank you. Best regards,

Marjan

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

Certainly. Take the Leonardo da Vinci nonstop airport train to Roma Termini Station (14 Euros each way). From there, you can visit the wonderful Museo Nazionale Romano (Terme di Diocleziano as well as Palazzo Massimo alle Terme), and the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli. You can also walk to the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (Bernini's St. Teresa statue) and the Basicilia of Santa Maria Maggiore. If you prefer to see the Renaissance part of town, take a taxi or the 64 city bus to Corso Vittorio Emanuele, near Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

Another possibility is to take the OTHER airport train (the cheaper airport commuter train) to Roma OSTIENSE station (8 Euros each way), connect to the Rome underground Metro to the Colosseum Station, and walk around the Colosseum/Roman Forum/Piazza Venezia area. This plan might be preferable to the first solution noted above.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

Just remember that you need to be back at the airport with plenty of time to catch your next flight, and if it's international, that's 1.5-2 hours. Now, that leaves you with only 5 hours, minus 1 or 2 hours of transport time (assuming you take a train).

If money is not a large concern, I would suggest taking a Taxi directly to the centre. There, you can see Piazza della Repubblica, the coliseum and forum and maybe even have time to see the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon before you cab it back to the airport.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

Thank you very much for your answer.

Is pick-pocketing a problem on public transport in Rome?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

Thank you for your help. We took the AlItalia bus to the centre. It cost 7 EUR each way and it drove us to the centre fast. Then we walked through the city and saw the coloseum and forum romanum.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

And I presume you managed to avoid the pickpockets! You were lucky with the bus, though, as this is more subject to delays than the trains. Of course, the traffic situation depends on day of the week (which you didn't mention) and time of day.

6. Re: 7-hour wait at the airport - is a visit to the city doable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:17