We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,431 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

We plan to take an early train from Orvieto (7:30 arriving 8:26, so we'll drop our bags at our hotel and then have the rest of the day for sightseeing, gelato, and a good meal) on October 3, staying two nights at a small hotel between the train station and the Colosseum, Hotel Rosetta. Since our time is so limited, I thought maybe the experts here could help me with an itinerary and walking or transit instructions for the best use of time.

I've read that it is best to tour the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basilica in the afternoon after the group tours begin to clear. Is this still true? If so, perhaps we should plan to go there this afternoon. And this evening? My guidebooks say the Ponte Sant 'Angelo is beautiful at night, along with the Piazza Navona, but maybe we should go there after we drop our luggage, then head for the Vatican.

On the 4th, our main focus would be the Colosseum (we'd like to do the Underground tour), Forum and nearby sights. We'd like to see the Pantheon. If we have time on one of our days, I think we'd find Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini very interesting.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d2…

Of course we must find time to visit the Trevi fountain to toss our coins to insure we'll return to Rome one day to see the sights we must pass by this time.

Suggestions and tips for constructing our tour, walking when possible, public transit or taxi when necessary, would be most appreciated. Also, if you've come across a favorite place to eat while out sightseeing, I'd love some suggestions there, too.

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Fountains, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,431 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

bump

Would still appreciate suggestions

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

Check out the church known as “Saint Peter in Chains” near the Colosseum (it closes at 3 PM). Great work by Michael Angelo. If you are in the Piazza Navona area for dinner, walk north 2 blocks beyond the piazza and try The Old Bear restaurant. Awesome food with sometimes spotty service. Between the Vatican and toward the Piazza Navona (across the bridge) you can find Papa’s Café where you can sit outside and enjoy a nice and inexpensive lunch. Note: Avoid Orso 80 in that area – they seem to ignore Americans.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

I was just in Rome and staying in more or less the same neighborhood, on via Cavour. I think some of your plan will be more easily done than you suspect: Trevi, Pantheon and Piazza Navonna are all a reasonably close walk to one another. Other parts, like the Vatican and the tours, may take more time and energy than you're accounting for.

I, too, went to Vatican Museums and St. Peters in the afternoon, though on separate days. Some of the crowds had died down (I could have walked up without advance tickets just fine), but still you should expect crowds and tour groups galore. I don't see how one could get through both in much less than four hours, and it's a pretty draining experience.

The Colosseum at night is quite nice and has the advantage of being near your hotel. And I really liked Monti as a neighborhood a lot. There are some worthwhile restaurants nearby, too, depending on what you're looking for.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

Near your hotel is a very reasonably priced little gem of a restaurant, L'Asino d'Oro -- https://www.facebook.com/asinodoro . They have a weekday lunch special -- I believe 13 euro for chef's choice of 3 courses plus water and wine. Note that chef's choice means exactly that -- may be all fish on Friday or some day may be all vegetarian. Also great for dinner (when not chef's choice!). Also we always enjoy Al Vino al Vino wine bar at Via dei Serpenti, 19 (best bet is the delicious eggplant caponata, cheese and cured meats). If you end up near the Trevi for dinner, head to Colline Emiliane at Via degli Avignonesi, 22, then go to San Crispino at Via della Panetteria, 42 for a gelato (particularly good are the honey and mandarine orange flavors).

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,431 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

Thank you for the suggestions!

Edited: 14 September 2013, 23:28
6. Re: Plan suggestions for all-too-brief Rome visit, early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 05:16