We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July trip report

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
July trip report

My husband and I spent two weeks in Italy in July, starting with three days in Rome. Links to photos and the Rome trip report:

flickr.com/photos/…

…blogspot.com/2013/08/viva-litalia-rome.html

I used the Parla Food gelato guide www.parlafood.com/best-gelato-rome-guide/ but we didn't have enough time to try them all. Also Smitten Kitchen's notes smittenkitchen.com/notes-and-tips-from-rome/ and theromedigest.com, plus our B&B host's recommendations for food.

I reviewed the places we stayed at separately. They were all great, so grateful to TA as a resource for accommodations. Our trip also included Orvieto, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Florence, Bologna, and Milan, there are links to (long) trip reports on the Flickr page if you are interested.

Thanks to everyone on the TA forums, especially for helping me figure out how to reserve the underground Colosseum tour.

Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,680 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July trip report

Sounds - and looks from the photos - lovely. Nice weather too it seemed.

I am mystified by the beagles - just wandering loose? I've been many times to Rome and don't recall seeing these wonderful dogs - I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed. Or maybe I did see them but they didn't register for some reason.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July trip report

Beautiful! I love the field of sunflowers. Thanks for sharing.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
955 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July trip report

Wow! Bad beginning and rough end with a good middle part. Not typical. Very nice blog - wonderful pictures and nicely written.

Lot of beagle talk but no pics? We did not see any beagles at least I didn't notice them. I did see about 3 or 4 bernese mountain dogs and lots of cats. I guess it's seeing what you want to see.

What were the highlights?

L R
Level Contributor
310 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July trip report

Enjoyed your trip report--I think I get your beagle references--I love dachshunds and whenever we travel, if we see dachshunds, we consider it a sign of a great day!!

United States
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July trip report

The "furry" nuts are chestnuts.

TAB

Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July trip report

And pinecones contain pine nuts: pinoli in Italian, use to make pesto sauce.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July trip report

Haha, yes I know pine nuts come from pine cones, and thanks TABarrett for the chestnut identification. I too am disappointed there are no beagle photos, but as I am known to run across a piazza to chase down a beagle, I didn't want to appear too crazy. (My husband says it's too late for that.) We have a beagle at home and are always looking out for them. L R, we saw dachshunds too! There was a cute one playing in Piazza Santo Spirito in Florence, and a chubby one who hung out in the church square in Manarola every evening.

So many highlights...vespers at San Miniato, sunflower fields, views on the coast, biking the Lucca city walls, Galeria Borghese, and of course the food!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July trip report

What a lovely report. Thank you for sharing! (The Roman Forum arch you're not sure of is the Arch of Septimus Severus.)

South of Houston
Level Contributor
182 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July trip report

We will look for the beagles. Loved the report and blog. Thanks again.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July trip report

What a fantastic report with stunning photos. We go in two weeks! Thank you.