We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Topic
Rome Itinerary

Hi, I will be travelling to Rome for 5 nights in November. Arriving on 17th sunday and leaving on 21st friday morning. Will sky be dark after 5pm during that period?

Was wondering what to do on the first day as me and my spouse will arrive at 2pm.

We would like to go to the following attractions but are unsure whether we group them up nicely.

Proposed itinerary for now:

1) 17th Sunday - Orientation around Rome? Night walk across Rome?

2) 18th Monday - Morning -Vatican museums, sistine chapel, St peter's basilica, st peter's square. For the vatican tour, how long will it take? Afternoon - Jewish Ghetto, Trastevere

3) 19th Tuesday - Morning -Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine hill. How long will this take again? Afternoon - Capitoline Museums, Victor Emmanuel II Monument, Pantheon (churches around Pantheon)

4) 20th Wednesday - Morning - Ostia Antica. Not sure how long this will take and what to do after coming back to Rome. Should we go to Borghese Gallery after that? Because I heard the evening view from pincio gardens is nice?

5) 21st Thursday - not sure what to do.

Some of the other places we will also like to go are Largo Argentina (wife is a cat lover), aventine hill, campo dei fiori in the morning to stock up some supplies, Baths of caracalla(is it worth going?) and castel sant'angelo in the evening. We are unsure where to slot these places into the itinerary.

Any suggestions are welcomed for us to improve on this itinerary. Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Itinerary

Sorry is leaving on friday 22nd morning.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Itinerary

The Vatican can take all day, especially if you wish to take your time and enjoy it. There is a two hour tour of the museums you can sign up for before leaving home that may help you keep on a tighter schedule.

For the colosseum area, again, this could take the better part of the day. The areas are huge with lots to see. I'm not sure if you'll get to the pantheon area or not, it depends on how much time you spend at the other sites.

If you leave for Ostia Antica early you should be back by mid afternoon. I'm not sure if I would have the strength for the Borghese gallery after that but if it's the only day you have for the gallery you should visit it.

There are thousands of things to see and do in Rome. You've listed all the top tourist sites but haven't listed anything else. I would get out a guide book and look at some of the other places to visit. The Baths of Caracalla are one of my favorite sites but there is so much to see and do that you shouldn't limit yourself to what others think are the "most important".

Donna

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Itinerary

Thanks @dbabe for your comment. We will see how we can change our itinerary to make this trip more enjoyable.

west central Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Itinerary

Just a suggestion: Castel Sant'Angelo pairs well with Vatican City because you can easily walk from one to the other.

I, too, am a cat lover and have enjoyed Largo Argentina. http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php

Enjoy your time in Rome! It is an overwhelming city because so many wonderful places will be all around you. Be sure to slow down and simply enjoy being there! Buon viaggio!

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Itinerary

Hi happyexplorer67, If you arrive at 2pm and are not too jet lagged and are in good health you could make a walk around Rome that would include Largo Argentina, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Firori and Trasteveri. You could also include the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. The market at the Campo will be closed by then, but there are many places to buy groceries in Rome. You did not include the area you will be staying at, but this would help in deciding what your schedule can handle. Depending on where you are staying and your physical abilities you could also walk though the Jewish Ghetto, which is a very small part of Rome. That way you could have the rest of the days to pursue your other interests. Have a great vacation.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Itinerary

Hi, @frugal-teacher, thanks for the tips. I might look into scheduling the vatican trip to tuesday so we could go up castel sant' angelo as it's closed on mondays right.

Hi @sfjam, we will actually be staying near the area of palazzo spada. So, I think if we are not that jet lagged, we could walk to the places you mentioned.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Itinerary

Your best bet is to have pros organizing your stay...a local limo company is cost-effective especially if you compare it to a travel agent . In any case they can help you with ticket reservation to skip the lines and can suggest the best times to visit each site. I used guided italy tours and was very pleased with the service they provided.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Itinerary

You don't need a "pro" to do anything for you in Rome. Booking tours and private drivers is fast and easy to do on your own. You don't need to pay someone to do what you can easily do on your own. It's just a waste of money. This site is full of information on how and where to book the tours you're interested in and how and where to book any type of transportation you need. The best thing about it is that this information is provided for you for free.

Happy, yes, the Castel sant angelo is closed on Monday. If you wish to see it along with the Vatican then switch the Vatican to Tuesday. The museums will be a little less crowded then as well.

Donna

9. Re: Rome Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:19