We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is this movie scene at?

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Where is this movie scene at?

I was watching Eat Pray Love and there is a scene in the movie I was wondering where she is. It is the opening scene when she arrives in Rome. She is overlooking the city from a rooftop or maybe a hill? Any idea where she was standing? The view is beautiful.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

I forgot to ask in my previous question. The scene with her and a friend ordering coffee is really busy and crazy with people screaming out orders. Is it really like that? I want to prepare my husband if it is. He is not really big on pushing his way through crowds to get to the front. He is more passive.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

The first scene of the movie is the rooftop terrace of Castel sant Angelo, near the Vatican. It's a great spot to watch the sunset (as she does) but she has the experience all to herself - this won't happen I guarantee you!

The café scene is hilarious - I love it - no it's not like that except possibly at morning rush hour - note they're mostly office workers.

Her beautiful Rome apartment is on the Via Portoghesi near the Hotel Portoghesi - Pantheon area - if you're in the area and a big fan of the movie - as I am :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,138 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

There is a stereotypical view of Rome/Italian cafes and restaurants that they will be like this ... it's simply not true. People sit quietly and chat just like everywhere else. You also won't see those huge traffic jams with Romans hanging out of their car windows screaming and honking their horns. I actually find the Romans quite reserved and polite ... and very friendly.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

Thank you for all the info. I am a fan of the movie. I will check out all the sites.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

Just a few more ideas - if you really love the movie.

- The restaurant where she is exchanging language tips with the good looking guy (and she calls red wine 'therapist') - is the Café delle Pace on via Delle Pace.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g187791…

- The restaurant where she has the group lunch and orders for everyone in fluent Italian is the Santa Lucia Restaurant on Largo de Fibo.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g187791…

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

I was wondering where the restaurant was when the group was eating together. The setting looked so peaceful. Thanks

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
49 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

You have to go to Napoli for the screaming and honking.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

lol. Is Napoli really like that?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,754 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

Got to a bit of a tussle with the Santa Lucia server last time I was there - he added coperto to the bill (illegal in Lazio region which includes Rome). I said "no" - he said "all restaurants in Rome do it" - I said "you are lying" and let him know I was aware of the law - all very quietly and in my broken Italian and muttered something about the Guardia di Finanza (basically the tax police) since he also handed me a non-fiscale receipt.

I said I was not paying it - and, since I was paying cash, I left the exact amount of the bill and left. By that time, he just stood aside. It was about 2 or 3 euros so not a lot of money but I really despise it when some of the restaurants do this to rip off tourists because it just makes people think they all do it and they don't. I was in Rome that trip for about 8 days and then again months later for 2 weeks and this place was the only one who tried this bit.

I like this blog post re: eating and not getting ripped off in Rome and it also shows what the receipts should and should not look like:

walksofitaly.com/blog/travel-tips/how-not-to…

I had eaten there previously and they did not try this lousy trick and this time I also found the food overpriced for what it was - but, the location is glorious and I'm sure they are coasting a bit on that bit of good fortune. I won't be going back - too many other choices.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
49 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is this movie scene at?

"lol. Is Napoli really like that?"

It was when I was there several years ago. 5 lanes of traffic on a 3-lane street was the norm in the larger intersections and circles.