We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

It says you need a lifetime to see all of Rome, well make that two lifetimes, as you need one to investigate what to do in Rome!

Here is our report to hopefully help others, thanks to all the experts, as I seemed to read all the advice you gave...!

The teenagers were off doing their own activity, so husband and I decided to visit Rome

We got the late BA flight out of Heathrow on Friday night, had considered getting the shuttle to the Artemide Hotel, but as we were delayed and wanted to see the insides of our eye lids, got a taxi. Very easy and the charge was Euros 58 (inclusive of the 10 euro extra charge for night).

Artemide hotel is great, we were obviously the last to arrive, as they knew our names when we got there. Room wasnt too small, nice view and had everything we needed.

Saturday - got up v early for pre booked tour of Vatican. After a quick but great breakfast, got the Metro from the hotel (very short walk and very cheap E1.5) to Ottoviano. Immediately saw a MASSIVE queue through lots of streets to the Vatican. We strolled through and joined our tour. It was an audio tour through the Sistene chapel, Basilica, museums. Clever audio device that meant you could hear the narrator. Walked around St Peter's Square, over to Castel Sant' Angelo and then down to Gianicolo for the view, Monumento Garibaldi and Travestere area. Had lunch at a great Italian, which sadly I cant find the name of. We walked for miles and then headed back to the hotel, around 4pm for a quick recharge/nap! Evening, went to the Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain. Great advice to avoid the Asian guys taking your photo, they were a nuisance, but enjoyed the two places.

Sunday, headed to Borghese Park, where we strolled around, hired the electronic bikes and rowed on the little lake. Then just people watched in the lovely surrounding. We ate at the Green conservatory, which was horrible. They dont make anything, just ship in, the food was plastic, the waiters unfriendly and expensive. Fortunately, this was the only bad thing on the trip. Then walked back to Rome, walked done Via del Corso for retail therapy, then went to the Pantheon. Headed back to the hotel around 6pm for a refresh and then ate in the local Italian.

Monday, went to the Colosseum for our pre booked underground and top tour. contrary to reports, this was easy to find and access and also very advisable to pre book. This was our highlight, fantastic guide, fascinating place and you dont want to miss out on the underground information or the view from the top. Then went to Palantine Hill and the Forum. Evening, went to Piazza Navona. The Piazza was featured in the film Angels & Demons.

Tuesday, left the wonderful Artemide Hotel and got a taxi to Sheraton Conference. It is about 25mins outside of Rome, we spent a day and half relaxing by the pool, but lots of people took advantage of the shuttle bus into Rome.

To summarise, it is very, very very hot in August. Fine with us, but make sure you have comfortable shoes and an empty water bottle. There are several taps where you can fill up with good clean and cool water around for Rome. It may sound that we did not do much, but there is always something to look at and nice to appreciate the surroundings, so each of our 3 tour days were full from 9-6. You can always see more, or as the saying goes, throw your money into the Trevi fountain and then see more, when you revisit! Bella!

rome
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

nice report. for the sake of others who will be reading: the taxi flat rate is 48 euros, always, including at night, on sunday, etc., there is no night surcharge on the airport flatrate.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

Wonderful detailed report, thanks for sharing.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

Enjoyed reading your report. I didn't realize that you could walk from Castel Sant 'Angelo to Gianicolo or from Gianicolo to Trastevere. I am currently in the process of planning our own itinerary for Rome. Would you mind telling me how long it takes to make those walks? Are the walks enjoyable? Thanks.

London UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

A pleasure, I can't remember but we left the Vatican at midday, leisurely stroll to all the areas, allow 2 hours for lunch and CSA, I would guess at 30-45 mins. Sorry, it was a blur, as it was hot and we were just enjoying the surrounding, so nor concentrating. Great thing we found, was not to be restricted with time and do what we wanted

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

You can definitely do the walk - much of it is uphill but the views from up there are really beautiful - views of the city.

Check out your map - you will see the routes you can take.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

Awesome report, i'm going there this Friday... would you mind telling my the tour companies you went through?

London UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

Hi, we booked the Colloseum via http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/index.cfm and the Vatican via

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

Have a great trip!

8. Re: Trip Report 3 days in Rome/2 days rest!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 07:19