We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

Any suggestions on how together from one city to the next for first time travelers to Italy? There will be 2 couples, early 60s traveling together. Interested in a train but not sure how to go about it??

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,566 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from US$58.70*
1. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:18
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

You can purchase the tickets on line or you can wait until you get to Italy. If you start watching fares about 4 months from the date of your train trip you might get lucky and get some discount fares. We've always travelled using Trenitalia. Italotreno is a relative newcomer but I've heard good things about it also.

Second class tickets are just fine; there's little difference between 1st and 2nd class seats.

When you buy a ticket for these trains (the fast trains) it comes with a seat reservation also.

You will be travelling from Rome Termini station to Florence Santa Maria Novella station. From Florence you will travel to Venice Santa Lucia station.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Santa Maria Novella Hotel
Santa Maria Novella Hotel
1,756 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Santa Lucia Ristorante
Santa Lucia Ristorante
668 Reviews
Rome, Italy
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,522 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

If you don't buy your tickets online, it's pretty easy to do once you get there -- either at the train station or from a travel agent (including American Express), although you may lose out on advance purchase discounts if you wait. However, if you buy in advance and change your mind about which train you want to take, you could pay a penalty. Even if you don't buy online, go online and read the rules and regulations about tickets, etc.

All those stations are served by modern high-speed trains and I think they are a lot of fun and much better than our sad sack trains. I sometimes splurge on what used to be called 1st class and now may instead be called Business class, especially on longer routes. A little more room, space for bags, and complimentary beverages, snacks & Italian newspapers. I think the high-speed trains also have special waiting lounges at at least some stations. Typical names for the Trenitalia high-speed trains are Frecciabianco, Frecciarosso, plus one or two other "Freccia" somethings. The last part "bianco," "rosso," etc. is a color and indicates degrees of speed. For example, I think the Frecciarosso is faster than the Frecciabianco, although they are all quite fast by our standards.

Rome
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

Well worth buying your tickets in advance on line and checking all the options (departure times etc) on the trenitalia site - you can save a small fortune. www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,603 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

This is a great website for getting info/photos about train travel in Italy:

roninrome.com/transportation/train-travel-it…

Excellent website for other info as well.

Your guidebook also should (if it is a good one) have some info on this question as well though not as detailed as the above site.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

Thank to everyone who responded regarding the trains in Italy! It is very much appreciated! Sandra B.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Georgetown Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

Thanks a bunch, brilliant site.

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

how far is it to the train station from the airport in Rome, we are arriving at the international airport at 9:30am and need to go straight to florence. Any suggestions??

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,730 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

There is a train station right at FCO, linked to the terminals by walkways. You can buy tickets from FCO to Florence at this station, but you will have to change trains at Rome Termini (the main station).

The ticket from FCO to Rome must be validated by time-stamping it in a machine at the station, but the Rome-Florence ticket will have a seat reservation and does not need validation.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice

Hi SandraB, I recommend buying tickets in advance. The discount can be very large. I have only bought from Tenitalia. Their website is very easy to navigate. Just a story: I once left my purse on the train that was going from Rome to Venice. I got off in Florence and realized my purse was missing when I got to my B and B in Florence. I went back to the station and the conductor was called on the Venice bound train. He found my purse and returned it to me the next day at Florence when the train came back through. How nice was that? Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence