We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

My 22 year old daughter and I are making a rather impromptu trip to Italy this October. After 3 nights in Venice we are taking the train to Rome, arriving October 5th departing for Salerno on October 10th.

We have narrowed our apt. search down to two that are available for our time in Rome. One is near Piazza Di Spagna in Trastevere (Holiday Lettings). The other is near the Spanish Steps on Orti d"Alibert (VRBO).They are both very nice and exactly the same price. We want to be fairly central to the sights, but not in a hugely touristy area.

Any thoughts or ideas on which apt we should choose would really be appreciated. With thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

Piazza di Spagna IS the Spanish Steps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_di_Spagna

Perhaps you could put links to the apartments? Trastevere is a large area and some parts are kind of further out than you may want to be located.

If you don't want touristy - don't stay near the steps - parts of Trastevere too are more touristy than they used to be but there are still parts that are less so

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

Okay, thanks for your quick response. Here are the links. It is always so difficult to choose! You don't want to be in a super touristy area, but you also don't want to be so far away from your apt that it takes a long time to get back at the end of the day. Also, from past experience travelling, if you are farther away from the touristy areas, restaurants and shops can be a bit cheaper. Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide.

Trastevere:http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/rome/167962

Spanish Steps:http://www.vrbo.com/250842?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_term=20130818&utm_content=propertyid_text_o_loth&utm_campaign=VRBOOwnerInquiry#

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

The Trastevere one is north of the main heart of Trastevere - not a bad thing but probably about a 15 minute walk to some of the more active parts of the neighborhood - I can't recall the street - I don't know if I have passed it or not - you are not far from the river and a few different bridges you can cross over to reach Campo de'Fiori which is close to Piazza Navona, etc

The other is a mystery - if it is the green house icon that shows up on the map - it is closer to the Colosseo than it is to the Spanish Steps - I don't know that neighborhood to the extent that I can offer a yay or nay to the apartment.

What I do suggest is looking at a map of Rome carefully to see where these places are located - if you don't yet have your hard copy map of the city, then use some online maps - most you will find will show the detail as to the location of sites; your guidebook should (if it is a good one) have some good descriptions of the various neighborhoods - and, again you can look online for some photos of them as well.

I would probably go for the Trastevere one if I had to choose between the two.

Also - the other one doesn't have an elevator and the 4th floor in Italy is really the 5th floor (as the first floor is really the second floor) and personally, I wouldn't want that hike up at the end of the day. I usually go in and out of wherever I am staying at twice during a day so that would be out for me but the mention of the 74 steps in one of the reviews would not appeal to me though you guys may be fine with it.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I had noticed the 74 steps! I think we will go for the one in Trastevere.

Here is one more link to another apt in Trastevere;http://www.vrbo.com/469157#reviews

What do you think of this one?

I haven't yet purchased a "hard copy" map of Rome. Do you have any recommendations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

That one - for me - is in an area I don't care for in Trastevere - further away from being close to the Center - but, you may not mind; the tram is close by that you could use. From there again, about 20 minutes to heart of Trastevere. Again, look at a map to get your bearings.

I have a few different maps of the city I have had for years - don't even know what kind. I always choose my maps and guidebooks by going to a bookstore and looking through them and finding ones that I find workable for me.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciated!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

One more question. I promise! Do you think it is worth considering staying close to the centre of Trastevere? For example close to Santa Maria Plaza? I am wondering about closeness of grocery stores and or restaurants near Via Orti d'Alibert.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

You said you didn't want touristy - if you do stay close to that location, you will be smack in the middle of the main touristy part of Trastevere. There are also shops along the streets - and restaurants will not be far either; again, I don't know the exact surrounding area by that street - but you are in the center of Rome - so, you won't be far from anything you mention.

If you are concerned re: grocery stores - ask the owner that particular question - When I had an apartment in Rome in December for a few weeks - I never bought anything in a regular market; I just popped into small shops for what I wanted. You can get your staples from a grocery store and then other items in some of the small shops you will be stumbling over -

You might want to "walk" through that neighborhood to see what is like with the little yellow "man" icon on google maps. That street looks to be very narrow and residential (I only glanced so can't say for sure) - to a lot of Americans, it would look like an alley though for those who know Italian streets, it is a street - just a narrow, cobblestone one. Probably would be pretty quiet there, which is a positive thing.

If you are not comfortable with the choice, then keep looking. I rented from AirB&B - maybe you will find something on there -

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

Via degli orti d'alibert is a lovely quiet little back street in Trastevere and a bit more isolated from the rest of the neighborhood, it would be a bout a 15 min walk from Piazza S Maria in Trastevere. I believe it is right next to the jail, not sure if this is a desireable thing .... my friends stayed near there and their windows faced the jail windows and they could hear the prisoners talk to visitors on the streets below.... they thought it was charming :-)

Rome
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Location for apartment Trastevere or near Spanish Steps?

http://www.vrbo.com/469157#reviews is away from the tourists, if you take a little stroll about where you are you'll find some of what remains of the real Trastevere, and more important the people of Trastevere, away from the tourists. The number 8 tram passes every ten minutes or less and takes you right into the heart of Rome, so you're cut off (thank God you may think at the end of the day surrounded by normal shops not touristy ones) but still connected.