We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trastevere Info

Yerevan
Level Contributor
71 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Trastevere Info

Hi,

I know that Trastevere is a nice neighbourhood with beautiful narrow streets. Are there any

"must sees" in Trastevere that shouldnt be missed? Can anyone offer a nice place to eat or drink coffee in Trastevere? I read that one should get lost in Trastevere like in Venice, but as I won't have much time I can afford getting lost and missing other attractions, but I would definitely love to see that area. Any offers?

Thank you

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trastevere Info

There are several sites in Trastevere that are really amazing. The following come to mind:

The mosaics in Santa Maria in Trastevere (SMT)

The piazza in front of SMT, esp. for nightlife.

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere is another cool church with an amazing ancient underground level.

A great restaurant is Marco G.

A great gelateria is Fatamorgana on Piazza San Cosimato.

Great bottega of food products at Antica Caciara. They also do delicious sandwiches that are very inexpensive.

If you like museums, there are two good ones in Trastevere right across the street from each other - Villa Farnesina and Palazzo Corsini Gallery.

Yerevan
Level Contributor
71 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trastevere Info

Thank you very much

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trastevere Info

I wouldn't exactly call the Villa Farnesina a museum, although it does have great frescoes inside, including some by Raphael. It's a Renaissance villa, set in a lovely garden, with beautiful rooms, including some with the above-mentioned frescoes. At the time it was built, this part of Trastevere was rather rural.

The Corsini Gallery is a very small museum, but it has works by many of the world's great masters. World-famous large museums would give their eye teeth for its collection. At 5 euros a ticket, it's got to be one of Rome's (and the world's) great bargains. For 9 euros, you can get a joint ticket to the Corsini Gallery and the Barberini Gallery, another fantastic but much-overlooked museum, with a great collection of Italian paintings, from the middle ages to early modern times.

When we went to the Corsini Gallery, we were the only visitors there. We had to hunt down someone to sell us the tickets. This was in the summer, when lines at the Vatican Museums stretch for hundreds of feet, and when many other famous places are suffocating with crowds. Imagine being the only people in a museum that has paintings by Rubens, Caravaggio, Van Dyck, and El Greco! Of course, I can't promise you'll be the only people there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trastevere Info

I always pop into this little museum - it is small and usually has two special exhibits on - one of which is usually a photography exhibit upstairs, the other may be photograph/painting, etc. They also have a few permanent exhibits. I am usually one of about 3 or 4 people there for some reason - it is such a delight, with a beautiful courtyard. About 5 minutes from Santa Maria in Trastevere -

http://www.museodiromaintrastevere.it

I agree about the Corsini - last time I went, I was with a few friends and we were there with one other visitor the entire time were there - We then crossed over to Villa Farnesina, which was busier than I had ever seen it before - I think it is starting to gain attention. Just down the street from Corsini is the botanical gardens -

There are some nice galleries to explore; I have bought some nice pieces over the years from artists there.

Just do wander - it won't take you that much more time to mooch around some of the small streets as you come across them -

Yerevan
Level Contributor
71 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trastevere Info

Thank you. I will by all means visit the museum

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trastevere Info

We found Trastevere especially beautiful in the morning when the locals go to work, kids go to school, before the tourists flock in. At night we found the main square and surrounding area lively and much more touristy than anticipated, but not so much in a bad way. All the attractions pretty much mentioned already but some thoughts...

Villa Farnesina - Stunning rooms no doubt but only a few open to the public I believe. I wanted to see more

Santa Cecilia - Includes one of the most haunting sculptures in Rome IMO

Innocenti - A bakery near Santa Cecilia. All sorts of unique super tasty cookies.

Fior di Luna - Ice cream. Fatamorgana as mentioned is a good choice as well but you can find them in other areas.

Although our trips are very food oriented and we stayed in Trastevere for 4 nights, I cant really recommend anything there. Our only meal at one of the most popular spots was our worst meal (still not bad tho) and we mainly ate in other areas even in the evenings. You can cross the river to nearby Testaccio for Pizzeria Remo or take tram #8 another 15 minutes to the last stop and eat in Cesare in Casaletto. Enjoy

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trastevere Info

Here is a google amp of Trastever with a lot of the site marked. Clik on the markers to read more

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

My favorite coffee/pastry place is Checco er Carettiere

Via Benedetta, 7

Checco er Carettiere -Checco's bar

world's best pastries. See pictures at the following URL

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Blue flag and turquosie pin on map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trastevere Info

It would be a privilege to visit the old pharmacy in Santa Maria della Scala, only previous appointment with a minimum of 4 entries only on saturday morning.

Enoteca Ferrara in piazzaTrilussa has matched our expectations; a close friend few weeks later went there and said she experienced one of the best meal of her Italian trip.

9. Re: Trastevere Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:17