We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seating area in the Colosseum

Llandudno Junction...
13 posts
Save Topic
Seating area in the Colosseum

We are going to the Colosseum and I am not a good walker so was just wondering is there any seating areas I could sit and wait for the rest of the party.....it's not an option of not going

Ann

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

There really is no where to sit. You may find a fallen column that you can use but there are no seats for you to use.

Donna

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

We found a few columns to sit on, but also a series of steps up, facing the center of the Colisseum where students were gathered eating their lunch. I think you would be able to sit there. They do have an elevator for people with mobility problems.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

Is there any way you could get a walker that has a built in seat in it? There are so many places in Rome where even a person with mobility would wish to have that! Either that or a "shooting stick" - that 3 bar single seat that folds up with an umbrella handle.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 23:54
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

Hi Coxan56, You could sit on the steps if you are tired. You should go with a tour and let the tour guide know that you might have to sit down. I am sure this has happened many times before. The Italians have a great deal of respect for the older generation. You sound like a real trooper. Have a great vacation.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

If you move back away from the arena on the lower levels you'll find a few places where you can sit and rest for a bit. Memory's a bit hazy, but I think there was also a few spots in and around their museum area near the lift.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

I disagree with the advice about the tour. The tours are on a schedule and they cannot stop for someone to rest. I would say to visit on your own, taking breaks as you need them. Find a toppled column or a set of stairs to sit on when you need to. While walking about the city you'll easily find tons of churches with steps leading up to them where you can stop for a rest.

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

Actually, if I sit down on a step I may never get up again. Anything more shallow than foot to almost knee height is very difficult for me. My knees just don't bend that much. So know your limitations.

Llandudno Junction...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

Thank you for all your advice.....we are not on a tour so can stop and start whenever ...thanks. Ann

9. Re: Seating area in the Colosseum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:18