We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
186 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

Greetings.

I recently booked tickets from Naples to Rome to FCO on Trentitalia (super economy, non refundable rate). I realized that I didn't give myself enough time to check in at FCO and need to book an earlier train. My question is this: can I simply rebook my Naples to Rome ticket and use my already purchased ticket to FCO to board the 12:22 train instead of the 13:22?

I found this language on my ticket -

Valid for 0 hrs 90 min from 13:22 of date 21/10/2013

and later it says:

2.Tickets

2.1. are nominative, personal and non-transferrable

2.2. are already validated and allows journeys to begin within 4hours from the date/time indicated on this receipt

I appreciate your help.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

The language seems to indicate that the four-hour window begins at the time shown on the receipt, which would seem to imply that you'd need a new ticket. However, in practical terms, I don't think the ticket inspector would give you a problem over it. They're more concerned about use of tickets later than the end of the window. I can't guarantee that, of course. Hold on to your ticket for the Naples to Rome segment, which should be proof that you weren't trying to re-use the ticket.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

This has happened to me, actually they mean you can board any train in the 4 hours after the train you booked (they are aware that trains suck in Italy), so if you want to board an earlier train i guess you should buy a new ticket, but I agree with BVLENCI, keep both tickets and try to explain.

Anyway, you can always ask for help before boarding to the trenitalia staff at the head of the leonardo express train to FCO (they usually have a small desk and wear dark green red or gray uniforms), this way could avoid a fine.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
186 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

Thanks for the input - I really don't want to risk a fine for the sake of the 14 euro ticket to FCO. Would it make sense to talk with the Trentitalia staff in Naples as the connection time at Roma Termini is pretty tight...

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

I dont think they can help you in naples, but the staff in rome is really two meters from the train, so don't worry you should have time for boarding. usually the leonardo express is at track no. 24 it takes a couple of minutes to get there from the high speed tracks (usually around track 10). you can make it!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

The reason the ticket is good for four hours is not that "they know the trains suck". This is a regional ticket, which is never for a specific train. Normally, a regional ticket is good for two months, and surely the trains don't suck that badly. However, regional tickets normally have to be stamped in a little machine at the trackside before you board the train, and after that, the trip has to be completed in a few hours. The stamping guarantees that the ticket can't be reused at a later date.

In this case, however, the ticket was bought online, and e-tickets can't be stamped in the machine. So they have set the validity for regional e-tickets to four hours instead of two months, to make sure they can't be re-used.

This is why I always advise people not to buy regional tickets online. There's no advantage to buying them in advance, and they are less flexible than the regional tickets bought in the station.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
186 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

your advice makes tons of sense, bvlenci.

when i booked the ticket online i was thinking as clearly as I should and put my destination in as FCO as opposed to simply Roma Termini. the total price was pretty low, so without really thinking about it i purchased. the wiser choice would have been to book the specific train from Naples to Termini and then purchase the leonardo express upon arrival.

hopefully someone will learn from my mistake...

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

Mine was meant to be a joke, bvlenci is right no pros in buying regional trains online, since they are even available at news stands in the station! although living in rome, and with my home town 100 km south of the city, i have travelled all my life with regional trains, believe me, they suck. A lot.

Leonardo express is different, first it is not a regional train, it goes no stop and has to keep running even in case of strikes.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
186 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

ermione81 - i totally got your humor!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

I live in Le Marche, and almost all the trains from here to Rome are regional trains, although they pass through three different regions, almost from coast to coast. The regional trains I've taken are not bad. Also, in and around Rome, many of the regional trains are the modern double-decker models, which are actually quite nice. They even have an electronic display showing the upcoming station.

The Leonardo Express is getting very long in the tooth. As an airport train it's not designed well at all. There are steep, narrow steps up into the train, which are a disaster for people with bulky luggage. The aisles are narrow, and there's not enough luggage storage space. At 14 euros, I consider it a rip-off. I still use it because usually I take an ongoing train from Termini station. However, if I'm going somewhere other than the Termini area in Rome, or if my train stops at Tiburtina, I take the FR1 train and save 6 euros.

I assumed ermione was joking, but I wanted to give the real story in case it would be helpful to someone. After all, people come to this forum for help and information.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to FCO - Is This Ticket Valid?

More and more people are taking one of the airport BUS operators between FCO and Roma Termini Station in lieu of the exorbitantly priced Trenitalia nonstop airport train.

The airport BUS starts as low as 4 Euros each way (although travel time is about double that of the train).

Two people travelling together can save up to 20 Euros each way by taking the airport BUS.

Also, the airport BUS service begins EARLIER in the morning, and ends LATER at night, compared to the airport train (there are also airport night buses operated by COTRAL).

The TAM airport BUS also stops at Roma OSTIENSE station on its way to Roma FCO airport.

www.sitbusshuttle.it

www.terravision.eu

www.tambus.it

cotralspa.it/PDF_Areoporti/tiburtina_termini…