We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours to Pompeii from Rome?

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tours to Pompeii from Rome?

I am in Rome for 3 days in early December this year. I would like to visit Pompeii but am struggling to find a tour that fits in with the only free day I have available - 10th December. Is it easy enough to travel there and back myself? If so, can anyone please enlighten me as to public transport? Any info appreciated.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 03:17
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours to Pompeii from Rome?

Trains Rome to Naples www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times and fares www.italotreno.it

check 60 days in advance

Train Naples lower basement station to Pompeii Scavi www.eavcampania.it

Entrance to the excavation is 11 euro, joining a guided tour group 10 euro

Campania region www.italia.it/en/home.html

Mentioned in this post
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,085 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours to Pompeii from Rome?

Avoid a tour! You'll pay a fortune for what is essentially a cheap trip if you DIY. Follow the links in Post no. 1 for the fast train to Naples - fares can be very low if you book in advance online. Then once you get to Naples, connect with the suburban service - the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii - this is only 4.20 euros return.

Do the same journey in reverse to get back to Rome.

When in Pompeii, either get a guide book at the bookshop or join a group tour. The audio guides are out of date. December is a great time to go - essentially no crowds (although there many be lots of school groups), and no heat. Take a water bottle which you can refill inside at various spots around the site.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours to Pompeii from Rome?

Thanks for the info folks.

4. Re: Tours to Pompeii from Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:19