We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Restrooms ?

kingswood
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Public Restrooms ?

This may be a stupid question, but are restrooms readily available to the public? Our days from sun up until after sun down are filled and we will not be returning to the hotel, so information on this topic would certainly be helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Restrooms ?

Don't know of any - but just make use when you are in a museum or any of the other sites - that is what most people do; or pop into a cafe/bar and get an espresso (or something else) and use the facilities. I've never had any problems with this in all my trips there.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Restrooms ?

I saw very few toilets/restrooms on our trip last week. However, toilet facilities were excellent in museums ( even in st Peter's) and there were signs in up to 5 languages saying no tipping!!

kingswood
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Restrooms ?

Good to know! Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Restrooms ?

I was just reading about this. According to Ron in Rome there are plenty - roninrome.com/%20equipment/toilets-in-rome

IWherever I am, I usually just do as others suggest and use the facilities in museums, etc or have a coffee stop. My feet usually need a rest by then anyway!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Restrooms ?

I probably haven't noticed them because I take advantage of whenever I am somewhere that has facilities and, if not, I duck into a cafe/bar and get an espresso - I wouldn't be inclined to look for one of these when the moment struck. Maybe if it was staring at me - but, otherwise, no.

OP won't have any problems at all.

Florida
Level Contributor
910 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Restrooms ?

Won't really be a problem finding restrooms...may be more of a problem trying to figure out how to flush and use the sinks...lol...you shall see. Another tip would be to use McDonalds and there are many of them. They are always easy to find on ALOT of the maps the hotels give out.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Restrooms ?

Problem with using McD's is you have to buy something to get a code off your receipt to unlock the toilet door, not always a good idea in an emergancy!!!

So long as there at least two of you one can order a coffee and the other can do the emergancy dash for the bathroom, thats what my sister and I did last year if caught short and we also had Ron in Romes listing with us, but were not always close to a public toilet or hotel as other posters have suggested in the past.

The next trip at Christmas I will be travelling with my grandaughter 6 1/2 so will have to be hyper-vigilant on the toilet stops!!

Enjoy your trip and not to worry about toilets there will always be one some where.

Mithch

Edited: 30 August 2013, 10:14
kingswood
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Restrooms ?

Thanks. Honestly, the closer the trip gets (24 days now) the more I find myself worrying about everything! lol I don't know if it's nerves or excitement but I'm getting more anxious every day.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Restrooms ?

I hear you! We leave in 29 days, and it seems like there are so many things left to do. As far as restrooms-I am planning to just follow the New York City rule that I made my kids follow when they were younger. If we are in a place that has a restroom you "have to go"!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Restrooms ?

There are restrooms in Termini behind the Conad(sp?) drug store but they are 1 euro/ea to enter, at least for the Men's.