We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Rome from sorrento

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Rome from sorrento

We are going to sorrento next Easter for a week and we we thinking of going to Rome for the day.

I have already read on here that you can catch a train and I have clicked on the link but I am unable to find any train.

I know that you have to change at Naples.

Could someone please tell me what the stations are called in Rome and sorrento so I can find the price and times.

Also we are only going for one day so want to visit the coliseum but are there any other ideas or recommendations?

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

The problem that you're having is that you must take the commuter train from sorrento to Naples. From Naples to Rome you can take a high speed train using either trenitalia or italotreno. For trenitalia you'll choose Roma termini, for italo you'll choose tiburtina station. For the commuter train just google circumvesuviana to get the schedule and prices.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

If the Colosseum is your primary interest, I'd look for trains to Ostiense station, which is fairly near the Colosseum, in addition to Termini station, which is the next station after Ostiense, and also near the Colosseum. Both Trenitalia and Italo have trains from Naples to Ostiense station. On the Trenitalia site, choose "Tutte le stazioni" (all stations) instead of a particular station, but Tiburtina would be my last choice.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

Sorry, bvlenci, but I think that Termini is the one near the Colosseum, not Ostiense...

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

Italo doesn't offer a train from naples to ostience, they only go from Naples to tiburtina.

Donna

Edited: 30 August 2013, 12:39
The Villages...
Level Contributor
12 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

Take the bus from Sorrento to to Rome

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

Both Ostiense and Termini are two metro stops from the Colosseum. If you were walking, Termini would be closer. However, if Italo doesn't stop at Ostiense, that wouldn't matter. I would prefer to take the Trenitalia train to Termini in that case, especially since time is short, rather than take the Italo train to Tiburtina.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

Thank you all for your comments, I am concerned that it will take about 3 hours each way which I feel with children is too much just for one day.

Thanks again

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

Hockey Lady I think you have made a good call here. It is a long trip. If you want to do it I think you should overnight in Rome to get the most out of the trip.

I do see a company called Smile tours that offer a private driver from Sorrento to Rome and return. Web site says it is a 10 hour day. It will be expensive but if Rome is a must see it might be an option for you.

9. Re: Visiting Rome from sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16