We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear on visit to Vatican

Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
13 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear on visit to Vatican

In a few days me and my boyfriend will be visiting Rome and Vatican. We bought tickets on oficial Vaticans website for a guided tour and they have notice there - decent clothes.

What kind of clothes exectly is decent for Vatican??

We use a normal kind of tourists outfit.

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear on visit to Vatican

It's just about being modest, since St. Peter's is an active church. Shoulders and knees should be covered for people of both genders. So, no miniskirts, short shorts, tank tops, etc. Pants or longer skirts would work fine. Some gentlemen have been OK with longer shorts, but then I'll hear a guard said the shorts were too short and the person was turned away, so I'd say long pants are prudent. If you are wearing something like a tank top, just bring a light sweater to wear when inside.Not a big deal, they just ask for a little modesty.

Have a great trip!

Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
13 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear on visit to Vatican

Thank you very much for advice!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear on visit to Vatican

In fact, full length trousers are officially required for men, although the guards often allow men to enter with shorts that are below the knee. To be safe, wear long trousers. For women, shorts and skirts must be below the knee. Sleeveless shirts are not permitted for either men or women.

Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
13 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear on visit to Vatican

Thanks! I already packed the longest skirt I have :)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear on visit to Vatican

They do not care what you wear as long as you are covered up. I visit in the winter and am a woman. I wear a short sleeve tee shirt, jeans, and athletic shoes.

6. Re: What to wear on visit to Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:33