We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Tour

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Tour

Can someone recommend a good tour of the Vatican? I know you can reserve online yourself, but a friend raved about the tour she did with her mom a couple years back. She said the tour was the highlight of the trip. Unfortunately, since it was a couple of years ago, she can't find the information on the tour. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
240 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,634 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Tour

I would just book with the official site. It's:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Donna

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Tour

Having been to Rome a few times and visited various parts of the Vatican on our own, with a guide, getting a tour with a Priest, night time and daytime, I have to say my most memorable experience was the Scavi Tour of the Vatican Necropolis where you actually go under the Vatican with the tour culminating at the place where (allegedly) the bones of St Peter are buried (they aren't 100% sure it's his bones but almost certain, and that's good enough for me!)

I had no idea this was even there and would recommend highly. You need to book in advance as places are limited due to the fragility of the area.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 21:43
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
240 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican Necropolis
Vatican Necropolis
712 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Tour

Thank you! Do you remember who you booked that through?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Tour

vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connecte…

See the link above for information, you need to apply directly to the Vatican, it's more of a please may I come visit? rather than I need tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
240 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Tour

When you exit you can then see the grottos and St Peters Basillica so no need to queue to get in again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Tour

We booked with Walks of Italy; did the Pristine Sistene. Totally worth the money we spent; when we walked through the Sistene Chapel later on the tour and saw it crowded literally shoulder to shoulder, we were happy we chose the tour and had the time with so few people in the chapel.

Here is the site: http://www.walksofitaly.com/

Mentioned in this post
Walks of Italy
Walks of Italy
4,724 Reviews
Rome, Italy
7. Re: Vatican Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:17