We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct Rome meals-please review

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South of Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Oct Rome meals-please review

I think I have our meals planned. I've tried to look at recent reviews to make decisions. We might not make it to all of these but this is the plan so far. Im using an Ap in Rome to find Gelato when we are there. How does this look:

Arrive Sunday

Lunch La Campana

dinner Cesare al Casaletto

Monday

Dinner

Da Remo

Tuesday

Lunch

Sorpasso

Dinner

Roscioli

Wednesday

Lunch

Puzzarium

Dinner

Armando al Pantheon

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct Rome meals-please review

I don't know where you are staying, but keep in mind that Cesare al Casaletto is a bit outside of the centro storico - not too bad, but maybe take a taxi, or if you are staying in Trastevere you can easily take the tram. Be sure and make a reservation.

We had lunch at Roscioli (you need a reservation even for lunch) and while the food was good I have to say that the service was the worst we've had in Rome (and this was our 3rd trip there). Very brusque, had to constantly ask for things multiple times and then on top of all that, they charged us twice for one of the items and it took them forever to change it!!

Pizzarium is great but it is located in Prati and definitely aways from most things you will probably be doing. We went there after a visit to the Vatican - closest to there.

www.FromHomeToRoam.com

South of Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct Rome meals-please review

I'm not sure how we will do with jetlag on Sunday. That combined with finding a restaurant open has been difficult.

We can take a taxi to Cesare al Casaletto.

The Pizzararium will be after the Papal Audience and before our Scavi tour. We have 2 hours. Is that adequate time to get back and forth and eat?

I'm sad to hear about Roscioli. That's not a cheap meal to be treated that way. I've heard that complaint from others. Was the service enough to deter you from recommending it? Or was the food outstanding enough to compensate?

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct Rome meals-please review

I would think it would take about 15-20 min. to walk there so that should give you plenty of time. Pizzarium is not a sit down be served place. Just go up and order at the counter and take your food and stand at the counter outside or find a bench, so it won't take you long to eat.

Honestly, I would not say the food at Roscioli was a "wow". Also, we often eat at expensive restaurants (we love good food and consider our meals an important part of the travel experience), but even we thought it was VERY overpriced. It's a cool, hip vibe but along with that went the younger sets rude service. That being said, my 20 yo daughter was studying in Rome last spring and we had gone to visit her. She had been to Roscioli's before and really loved it so wanted to go back while we were there (and paying for it =)). She kept raving about their burrata and tomatoes dish. Sadly, they did not have it as we were there the Tues. after Easter Monday (when it was closed) and it takes 24 hrs to make the burrata and since they were closed the day before they didn't have any. My mouth had been watering just thinking about it, so that put a damper on things to begin with.

www.FromHomeToRoam.com

Edited: 08 September 2013, 23:09
South of Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct Rome meals-please review

Do you have a replacement suggestion. It doesn't have to be high end just great food.

5. Re: Oct Rome meals-please review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:17