We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roma Pass rip off?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Roma Pass rip off?

I have just purchased the pass at 34 euros.

I have now noticed that for a 2 day pass to the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine it costs 12 euro

If you count the discount of 1 or 2 Euro to the other museums etc and the travel (most things are within walking distance, or 1.5 euro each way) it actually means i have paid about 15 euros more than i needed to

So beware!!!

You will also be very unlikely to get through to book tours on the telephone as they seem to be

permanently engaged at present, so getting the discount wont be worth it.

Book your ticket and the tour at the same time, save time, money and pulling your hair out...

München
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

With the Roma Pass you also have a transport ticket for 3 days. It costs 16.5€. It's not a scam.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

Not if you only need to use transport once or twice a day to and from the venue

For me it is a complete waste of money

Alford, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

why did you buy it then?

it works out cheaper for me.....but i researched it...you know like most normal people do before buying anything

i booked a colosseum tour on the phone with no prob

Edited: 09 September 2013, 11:25
4. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 03:35
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

Sad thing is I did

I used all the advice on trip advisor

The colosseum website was down so I trusted all the advice out there

Therefore I thought it best to warn others who might be in my situation oh and the phone is still engaged for the tour been trying for 2 hours now

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

I plan on buying the Roma Pass as soon as we get to Rome. Our hotel is near Repubblica station and we were planning on getting the 3 day travel pass at 16.50 euros anyway. We WILL use the transport, especially early in the AM and after a long day of sightseeing - back to the hotel. Then maybe again for the evening.

I easily booked underground colosseum tour on the phone and we plan on using one of the free entrances for that & to skip the lines at both colosseum and forum. Probably capotiline museum or Castel St Angelo for the other free one as we have free entry and booking for Borghese Galleria already. The Palazzo Massimo is 10 euros, but only 3 with the pass, so that is a huge savings.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

So you may be a few euro better off or break even

I'm just letting others know who may only wish to travel twice in a day which for within the walls is 3 euro

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

Just to clarify - bus/tram/Metro tickets don't work according to zones; it doesn't matter whether your destination is within the city walls or not, the base ticket will osts 1,50 € and will be valid for 100 minutes regardless of your destination. Only taxis make such a distinction.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

Thank you for that information :)

Still trying to get through to book the colosseum tour it's been 3 hours!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roma Pass rip off?

With the Roma Pass, you will get free admission to the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and the Palatine Hill, usable for one entrance to the Colosseum and one entrance to the Forum/Palatine site, over two consecutive days that both fall within the three calendar days in which the pass is valid. This counts as one free entrance, so you will still have one other free entrance.

I don't know what you mean by saying that you still need to buy a 12-euro pass, because it's just not true. The Roma Pass doesn't include optional tours, but none of them cost as much as 12 euros. I don't understand the premise of your post.

The Roma Pass includes 2 free entrances. Many of the covered museums, such as the Colosseum, are really multiple sites, so you could possibly visit four museums and two archaeological sites absolutely free. This is more than a savings of a "few euros". And then there is the transportation pass. The potential savings, especially if you visit more than two sites and use public transportation a fair amount, could be more than 40 euros.

I don't think anyone saves a great amount of money with the Roma Pass, and some surely don't really save anything. The only time I bought one, I more or less broke even, but that's all. However, the value is definitely more than pocket change.