We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market close to spanish steps

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Market close to spanish steps

guys

I need to buy stuff like this. Can someone recommend a nearby market to the spanish steps? I'm arriving on Sunday so if the sunday market is best to go, I can. Thank you!

Also, does it make sense to buy any of this from Florence (quality or price-wise)

1- Balsamic Vinegar from Modena (small bottle, has to be expensive)

2- Parmigiano Reggiano (not the awful fake Parmesan Cheese I found in th US)

4- truffle flavoured: pasta, oil

5- original pesto sauce from small stores called "Pastificio" (pasta maker, you can find these stores in avery town) you have to buy it in Liguria (Cinque Terre are, Genoa etc.)

Grappa and Limoncello

8 - Olive patè and fegatini patè

10 - Sundried tomatoes

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market close to spanish steps

Neither Rome nor Florence is the home of any of these items, so it shouldn't matter whether you buy them in Rome or Florence. Most of them should be bought at a gourmet food shop.

Genuine aged balsamic vinegar (aceto balsamico tradizionale) is *very* expensive. You can expect to pay €50 and up for a very small bottle. There is a lot of stuff labeled "aceto balsamico di Modena", but it's just wine vinegar with coloring and caramel. (If you see "caramello" on the list of ingredients, it's not the real thing.)

There is a lot of inferior "Parmesan" cheese in the US, but it's also fairly easy to find good imported Parmigiano Reggiano there. My daughter lives in Indiana, and I've found high-quality cheeses, including parmigiano in a supermarket near her house. If you want a really high quality parmigiano in Italy, you should go to a cheese specialty shop.

Truffle-flavored pasta and oil are not worth buying in my opinion. They have a minuscule quantity of low-grade truffles in them and are very overpriced. It would be better to buy actual truffles in small bottles or else a high-quality truffle butter (also very expensive). White truffles are far more expensive than black truffles or summer truffles, but white truffles have a very short shelf life and are never found in bottles. You can find truffle butters made with white truffles, though. Unfortunately, a lot of products made with truffles are made with inferior cheap truffles imported from China, and I've never seen a label telling you where the truffles came from. You really have to get these products from a trusted merchant.

No bottled pesto sauce is ever anywhere near as good as a pesto sauce whipped up on the spot using fresh basil, pine nuts, and high-quality olice oil and cheese. It's one of the easiest things in the world to make on your own, and I don't see any point in buying an inferior bottled product. I make large quantities in the summer and freeze it in ice cube trays. When it's frozen, I remove the cubes and keep them in my freezer in a plastic bag.

Grappa and limoncello can be found everywhere, even in supermarkets. For advice on the best brands, you should go to a good enoteca.

I don't see the point of sun-dried tomatoes. I'm sure people from Puglia or Sicilia will disagree with me, but I'd much rather have a good ripe tomato.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market close to spanish steps

Sorry, but there aren't any in that area. And, it could be argued that you could find most of these items in a supermarket, as outdoor markets (in my experience) just sell meat, fish and fruit/vegetables...

Plus, I could be wrong but I don't remember having ever seen a pastificio in Rome. Just normal bakeries.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:28
rome
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Market close to spanish steps

You don't want a market for these but a good deli/gourmet food shop.

Rome is not home to any of these, like Bvlenci said, so a good specialty shop is what you want.

There are many pastifici in rome, but their pesto will not be better than any you find in specialty shops.

Roscioli and Volpetti are the best examples. not open on sunday.

For the real balsamico, look for "tradizionale" on the label. the bottles are legally standard, and cost from 70 to 120 euros.

stay away from truffle "flavored" anything - that said, at the farmers market in san teodoro (open on sat and sunday) there is a good producer that has mushroom and truffle mixed pastes that are pretty good. If you go to that market, you could also get olive and liver pate and the sundried tomatoes.

for good grappa and limoncello, go to a good enoteca.

Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market close to spanish steps

Got it guys - learnt a lot from the responses. If both Rome and Florence are the same, would the prices in Florence' central market be on par with a store in Rome like Volpetti?

5. Re: Market close to spanish steps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18