We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electricity converter?

White Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
electricity converter?

What do I need to purchase for electrical converting in Rome?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,639 reviews
from US$74.33*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,016 reviews
from US$60.93*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$402.12*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,438 reviews
from US$146.96*
US$163.29
Texas
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electricity converter?

They are inexpensive. DH bought some on Amazon.com. Our hotel also provided them upon request.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electricity converter?

Do you mean a 'outlet plug adapter'...or an 'electricity converter'? Adapters are inexpensive and widely available on-line or at travel related stores (Radio Shack etc.) That's all you will need for recharging camera's, cell phones, book-readers, pads, netbooks, laptops, etc. But if you're talking about hair-dryers, razors, etc....you will need a "converter". And they are available as I've mentioned above...and they will cost more.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: electricity converter?

Do your electrical gadgets have dual voltage?

Help with electricity:

tripadvisor.com/…52511948

Vagabonda

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: electricity converter?

I wouldn't use an electricity converter for any heat-producing appliances) hair dryers, straighteners, etc,), because the only reliable ones are very expensive and heavy. I would either buy dual-voltage models or buy new ones in Italy. I'm of the non-shaving gender, but I thought that hotel bathrooms usually had dual-voltage outlets for razors, no?

Laptops and all chargers are dual-voltage, or to be more accurate, they convert whatever voltage they find into a very low voltage for the appliance.

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: electricity converter?

Do not even think about taking or using something that is called a converter/transformer - they are expensive, heavy and can still result in damage to your devices or other hazards. Follow the advice above.

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: electricity converter?

PS I should qualify my previous post to say I am talking about converters/transfomers/inverters/rectifiers that work on 220 in 110 out or vice versa (or have anything to do with AC to DC or vice versa). I do not mean the little transformers for phones, or even computers

Texas
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: electricity converter?

Sorry, I was referring to a voltage converter.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: electricity converter?

A voltage converter is not needed for low-power devices such as laptops, chargers, iToys, etc. Their power supplies can handle any mains voltage between 110 and 240 volts.

High power devices (hair dryers, straighteners, irons) work off either 110 or 220 volts, unless they are dual-voltage travel models. Do not try to use these in Europe unless they are travel models. A voltage converter with sufficient power would be the size and weight of a brick. Either buy travel models, or get cheap ones in Europe.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 00:31
White Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: electricity converter?

Thank you for your most definitive reply!

10. Re: electricity converter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18