We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome not like the tourists

Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome not like the tourists

guys

we are coming to rome 2nd time and may just do the colloseum again amongst the main tourist sites. However, are there any places to avoid the tourist crowds and do something different? Can someone recommend someone to enjoy the life in rome without being swamped by tourists? I know this may sound odd because we are tourists but hope i get my point across

Thx

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome not like the tourists

This was a wonderful recent post from a Rome DE on hidden gems in Rome: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k61477…

There are many lesser-visited sights in Rome where one can usually get away from the crowds. One of our favorites is the Centrale Montemartini at http://en.centralemontemartini.org -- a funky mix of ancient sculpture housed in a power plant. We are also partial to the modern art museums MACRO and MAXXI. There are also some wonderful parks to stroll and enjoy, sharing them with Romans walking dogs and letting kids play, like around Villa Doria Pamphili. So yes, you can escape the crowds. Quite frankly, even in a place as packed as the Vatican Museums, whole sections of the museums that are off the 3-hour-tourist-path will be quiet.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome not like the tourists

I was the person who made up the list of hidden gems. It's really not complete, because it just covers art museums from ancient times to early modern times, and not even all of them. There are lots of places in Rome where tourists rarely go. It would really depend on your interests. Are you looking for off-the-beaten-track museums or churches? Or perhaps neighborhoods to explore? Parks? Little known archaeological sites? Other historical places? Maybe a day trip out of Rome?

Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome not like the tourists

wow - you are amazing! and thanks for these wonderful inputs in rome

Indeed, I am not really looking for museums but out of your list, I was able to pick up the following - Villa Farnesina

I am more inclined to explore neighborhoods and parks. Enjoy the scene maybe in a public park where parents bring their kids every evening and I may be one or the few or only tourist there. Or maybe I'll like to pick one afternoon to explore a major ethnic neighborhood to get some food - is there a chinatown or Indian town in rome?

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome not like the tourists

last time I was in Rome with my kids, my son dragged me out to the Aqueduct Park which is near the end of one of the subway lines -- it was totally bereft of any visitors -- we were the only tourists there. it is an easy stroll through an apartment/residential area from the metro. it was cool to be able to walk around the base of some of these historic aqueduct ruins

we also really liked Villa Adriana in Tivoli -- the ruins of Hadrian's summer palace -- it was not crowded any of the times I have visited it.

Ostia Antica is also very uncrowded although of course a tourist site as is Villa Adriana.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome not like the tourists

Second aqueduct park. Just like Janet we were the only tourists along with some fitness fanatics and keen bikers. The whole Appia Antica park, especially after the Catacombs was a pleasure to stroll through. Recommend Capo de Bove and Circus Maxentis. No tourists but loads of mosquitoes.

How about a beach day out to Sperlonga ?

There are loads of Indian and other south Asian shops, take away and small restaurants near Piazza V. Emanuelle but you may find the neighbourhood a bit unappealing.

Out of the museums I was very pleasantly surprised to see the number of tourists visiting the Pallazzo Massiomo alle Terme near Termini. The secret is out and I expect more people to visit in future. A cracking museum and I could take hundreds of pictures from various angles without elbowing other tourists.

Not sure about the time of your visit but if you can, try to see the archaeological sites in night. Totally different experience. Perhaps attend some concert at Baths of Caracalla, unless they are done for this season.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome not like the tourists

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Villa Farnesina, and you'd probably love the Galleria Doria Pamphilj as well.

There is also a park named after the Doria Pamphilj family, where they had a villa (which I don't think can be visited). Here on weekends, you'll see kids playing football (soccer for you Americans) and people jogging or riding bikes, or just strolling.

There are also lots of Italians out enjoying the Villa Borghese Park on weekends, although there you'll also find a good number of tourists. If you get away from the vicinity of the Borghese Gallery and the part of the park near the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo, you won't find a single tourist. However, you should at leat go to the Pincian Overlook, where there is a great view of the city.

The Janiculum Hill is another place where Romans go, especially on a Sunday afternoon. There are little carnival-type rides for kids there, and also pony rides. And more spectacular views of the city from Piazza Garibaldi. From one side, you see the cupola of St. Peter's Basilica and on the other side, the entire rest of the city. On a clear day, you can see the hills to the south of the city.

Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome not like the tourists

Thanks so much guys, really helpful! Starting off my first day in rome at the aqueduct tom ;)

8. Re: Rome not like the tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:16