We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

45 day backpacking trip advice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
45 day backpacking trip advice

Hello!

My cousin and I (2 ladies in their mid twenties) will be traveling through Europe for 45 days. We leave next week. We will be flying into Athens and 45 days later have a return flight from Barcelona. So far we only have flights booked and some cities chosen. We have not booked accommodations or transportation. We are only bringing backpacks. We want to see as much as possible without spending a fortune. Does anyone have advice/recommendations? Anything at all is helpful and would greatly be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

I really think you should book some accommodations , Sept and Oct are very busy in Italy/Europe and classed as high season, Also "walk up fares' on flights and trains are a lot more expensive than pre-booking. You need to check prices on transport and work out an itinerary of where you want to go. check there sites for transport

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

http://www.easyjet.com/en

Edited: 15 September 2013, 09:46
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

I agree with jessybobs - as adventurous as it seems to have no clear plans and just go somewhere on a whim, the reality is you could get stuck somewhere and no cheap places to stay or worse - nowhere to stay at all because everywhere is booked out. You've only got a week but get hold of Lonely Planet Europe on a Shoestring, plan a route and make some bookings.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,005 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

That was a great way to travel - up to about 15 years ago. As noted, this is high season so prices for lodging are higher this time of year and good, inexpensive places are usually booked up months in advance.

If you can make at least a few decisions, you may be able to find a few discounted train fares for the latter part of your trip - for example - if booked in far enough in advance, a 80 euro fare can be gotten for 29 euros (Venice to Rome) - big savings. If you plan to visit a great many places, transportation costs are going to very high.

You can check www.venere.com for lodging - if you don't want to book beforehand, you can check this site while you are there so you can see what is available for your budget.

Guidebooks and a map - your best starting point. I'm sure you will have a great time - but, Europe is expensive and when there's been no planning, you end up spending more a lot of times than you needed to and you end wasting a bunch of time trying to find last minute lodging.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

Thank you for the input! Also, would u recommend buying the euro train global pass?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

Do not buy any type of rail pass for Italy. It is never a bargain and won't save you any money. Just buy point to point tickets.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

Thanks! I was about to buy the rail pass but now I am looking for other options. If anyone has input on best ways to get from one place to another I would really really appreciate the input. Or even just tips on what I must do in each city, cities which I should include or remove.

Here is the plan so far, although now I am not sure how we will be getting to each place.

(Sept 23) New York > Athens > Mykonos > Santorini > Rome > Florence > Venice > Zurich > Munich > Prague > Frankfurt > Luxembourg > Amsterdam > Brussels > Paris > Nice > Marseille > Barcelona > New York (Nov 6)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

Flying out of Santorini costs a fortune - you may need to get yourselves to Athens and fly to Rome from there.

In Italy, the trains are the best way to go - you may get some cheap tickets if you book ahead but that will lock you in to a schedule so best just to buy on the day although you'll be paying a premium for the fast trains or have to use the slower regional service. The Trenitalia schedule is here - click on the British flag in the top right corner for English translation.

http://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia.html

Personally, I think your schedule is far too crammed. It works out to less than three days per city and half that time you'll be in transit. Cut down your cities and stay longer in some places. I would skip the Zurich Munich Prague Frankfurt northern Europe part and just stick to Italy, France and Spain but that's my opinion - it's your vacation. You will be flat out getting around and your 45 days will be chewed up with lots of travel and barely any down time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP! This is my first time using trip advisor :)

I am still nervous about this trip and how to get around. I know we have a lot of cities on the agenda so I'm still debating on the global pass or other ways to get around. I was under the impression that the 2 month train pass would be very useful to get from city to city as it also includes ferries. Now I am not so sure.

Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

Cut northern Europe and stick to Greece, Italy, France and Spain.

Cut the Greek islands and go straight from athens to rome.

Spend more days in each country.

A good idea in italy could be Rome ---> florence ---> venice ---> Milan ---> Genova and Cinque Terre ----> France.

Spend more days in every city. Having 45 days, you can stay 2 weeks in italy.

Plus, if you can't renounce to northern Europe, from Milan you can find a LOT of low cost flights for Germany and France. It could be a good idea to fly to Paris and come back to Milan (I just checked, there are <70 € round trip from milan to paris in september, get them!), then continue to Barcelona just visiting Southern France.

To reach Nice you have to pass Genova. It's an underrated, beautiful big city from where you can reach wonderful small towns by the seaside like Portofino or Cinque Terre.

To save money, BOOK!

Try to find hostels, flat for rent. In Italy only use trains, never taxis.

In France you can try carpooling.

In Spain, think about adding Sevilla or Madrid.

Get a look here

http://www.interrail.eu/

But I think it's not really cheap anymore as it used to be in the past :(

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 45 day backpacking trip advice

Yes, 16 cities in 45 days is too much, you will only have about 3 days in each city. You should heed the above advice - limit yourself to Greece, Italy, France and Spain to get the most out of your trip -- that would average about 10-11 days in each of the 4 countries