We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
7 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

I've just arrived in Rome, and will be here until Christmas. While unpacking, I realized that I packed no where near as many pairs of socks and underwear as I need (not even a weeks worth of either!). I'm looking for a cheap place to buy some standard Wal-Mart quality essentials, but I'm having a hard time turning up anything that's not some sort of luxury brand.

Would any of you be able to recommend a store?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

If you tell us where you are staying we can recommend something near by.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

Hi Lucas L, One year I had to buy some socks and underwear for my two sons when their luggage was late to arrive. I went to Intimissimi. They are not so cheap, but they are available in several places in Rome. Around the Termini there are venders who sell socks and other cheap goods at tables set up in various spots. Mind your wallet. There is also a Nike Store at the Termini. The benefit of shopping in Intimissimi for you gents is that the salesgirls are beautiful. My sons never minded. Have a great vacation.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

The cheapest place to get underwear is usually in a supermarket. For socks, Calzedonia is good. I don't know where you're originally from, but these sorts of things do cost more in Italy than in, for instance, the US.

There is a department store next to Termini station, with an entrance along track 24. The name has changed over the years, and I don't remember which chain is there now, but they do have all these sorts of things, and not an expensive store, and most people in Rome find numerous occasions to pass through that station.

Rome, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

Thanks for answers so far. As far as location: I'm sandwiched between Parco Urbano del Pineto and Villa Doria Pamphilj.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

Have you thought about asking someone near where you're staying? Do you go to a bar for breakfast? If so, ask there. Ask a waiter in a restaurant. They'll be able to recommend someplace close to you.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

Try a local market, or keep washing what you've already got.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

H&M and OVS have what you're looking for.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

In that area, surely a local merceria (a dry goods shop), or a street market, would have socks and underwear. The street markets may be active only certain days of the week. I agree that you should ask someone in the neighborhood.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

Calzedonia is Intimssimi's sock store. It is located right next to an Intimissimi store. But not cheap.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a Cheap Place to Buy Men's Socks

I don't mind buying cheap underwear, but I like my socks to be of a good quality, for the comfort of my feet. I've been quite satisfied with Calzedonia socks.