We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

I'm spending a week in Rome in November and have a reservation at the Marriott on Via Veneto. I'm thinking of spending part of the time in a different neighborhood - maybe Campo dei Fiori, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. I'm looking for an interesting neighborhood with fun night life. Any hotel suggestions that aren't too expensive?

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

Rome is quite compact. It's much smaller than Paris or London. You can walk from the either end of the city center (Termini to Vatican) in about 45 minutes. I would pick one location and stay there for the week. No sense packing up your bags and moving to a new room. I prefer the Piazza Navona area to the Via Veneto area for nightlife but both locations are good.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

Gran, You may not want to spend that fun Rome time packing and checking out, checking in another place and leaving luggage there and waiting to get room again. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

You're in a perfectly fine area. Stay put for the entire stay. I return to Rome (I lived there for three years many moons ago) and will be staying off Via Veneto at the Daphne that are owned by friends. Just keep in mind that restaurants around Veneto are quite expensive but there is plenty of night life and the city, as has been mentioned before, is rather compact.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

Hey GC --

I agree with the folks who say stay in one place - a week is not a tremendous amount of time to spend in a city that has been around for millenia - don't wast your time on avoidable "house keeping" chores. Instead, while you are sightseeing make note of the most interesting neighbourhoods for your return visit - Trevi fountain coins or not, you will be returning - we all do.

As for restaurants near Via Veneto, check out the side streets, bearing in mind that some of them look like back alleys. On our first visit my husband's client put us into a hotel there and, although we stay in different areas now, we still wander back through the area looking for the small neighbourhood places to eat.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

We stayed for eight days in the Piazza Navonna area and were glad we stayed put. Besides seeing all the major tourist areas, we began to feel a bit "at home' in the neighborhod, finding our favorite bakery , cafe, market etc. and it greatly added to the quality of our stay to visit them regularly. Rome is inddedcompact. other than our ride to and from the airport, we walked everywher in Rome and never took a taxi or a subway at all. All that walking alleviated a little of the guilt from those daily bakery and gelateria visits!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

I'm going to add a different perspective. I've been to rome and I always change hotels and neighborhoods. The posative side is that you see two completely different neighborhoods so that its almost like two trips and again the moving seems to extend the time there. That being said, because the moving process itself is so time consuming expecially lugging luggage around the city you lose the best part of the day. I had a specific reason to change hotels which I have done many times which is to stay several nights in a 5 star and several nights in a 1 star rather than the whole time in a three star. It seems silly but I have stayed in hotels that I would have otherwise never afforded. This year I have hit rock bottom and its two starts for the whole stay and I will not move.

Level Contributor
8,333 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

Not sure I would want to move but you can also just plan evening restaurant and walking in a new area everynight...some recommendations would be the new hotspot Celio near the Colliseum which must be seen a night and some very interesting streets around Piazza Farnese and the more active Campo dei Fiore...do not spend all your evenings around the Veneto it is not even remotely the more authentic Rome.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm looking forward to my trip!

9. Re: 7 Nights in Rome - Should I stay in 1 neighborhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2006, 11:56