We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas trip advice needed.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas trip advice needed.

I am traveling to Italy during the holidays with my two teenagers to meet my deployed husband. We plan to arrive in Rome December 22 and stay until the 26th, head to Naples for a day or two and end up in Sicily, flying out of Catania after New Year's. I've sent in for Midnight Mass tickets at St Peters that is a must do because we are Catholic. Otherwise I am wondering about availability of restaurant meals and other attractions at Christmas time in Rome and getting to Naples by train; I can't seem to find a way to make reservations. Also from Naples to Catania, fly or ferry? Any ideas about things to do in any/all of those towns with teens? Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas trip advice needed.

There will be a train timetable change on 15 December, and train times are not yet published after that date. They will probably not be available until mid to late November. Times on main routes, such as Rome-Naples, are unlikely to change much.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas trip advice needed.

There are always things to do in Rome over Christmas -- the Christmas market at Piazza Navona, walking the beautiful churches and admiring the creches, the Christmas trees at the piazzas, the streets are decorated with little lights, and everyone is out shopping and strolling ... here's what was open last year: buzzinrome.com/2012/12/19/whats-open-when-in… I even have found a walking tour on Christmas day (although I have never used the company so cannot vouch for it): angeltours.eu/rome/christmas-day-tour-rome/

If you are staying in an apartment, stock up on food before the holidays, and if you want a nice meal, I'd do some research and make a reservation. While there are certainly more places open then on this list, you may have to do some searching: parlafood.com/where-to-eat-in-rome-on-christ… We have been in Rome for Christmas without reservations, and ended up having take-away pizza!

Do note that accommodations are at a premium during this time -- you'll need advance reservations.

Christmas in Rome is wonderful -- hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Edited: 17 September 2013, 11:55
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas trip advice needed.

Thanks to both of you. The information about the train helps me relax a bit, we've taken the train between Naples and Rome several times and found it very convenient. I thought it might be sold out for the holidays!

Great tips on the websites for Christmas in Rome. Google got me only so far.

I knew I'd get great advice on Trip Advisor! Thank you so much!

4. Re: Christmas trip advice needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20