We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee question

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee question

I know Italians don't use drip coffee makers, so I'm bringing my Melitta one cup pour though thingy for my 2 week stay....Question is, do I need to bring my own coffee too? Just don't want to have to run out for coffee every single morning...

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Coffee question

Bobbi I get it - in fact I drank instant coffee in my Rome apartment because I couldn't work the stovetop coffee maker - could have used Lynn's tutorial at the time - but I found instant coffee in the local supermarket in Trastevere and it did the trick until I went outside for the good stuff

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Coffee question

I have one of those Melitta things in my house that I use for some of my American friends and relatives when they visit. Some people just don't like the dark roast, and adding water doesn't really change the flavor of it. I can find the Melitta-type paper filters in Italian supermarkets, so some Italians must drink filtered coffee, but it's harder to find a coffee with a lighter roast.

I don't see why anyone should be scandalized that someone prefers a different type of coffee. Italians usually don't like American coffee; should Americans be scandalized about that? When I'm in the US, I almost always drink American coffee, because it's almost impossible to find a good cappuccino, but there are plenty of places in major cities or university towns that make a good American coffee with high-quality beans. My husband, after years of suffering watery cappuccinos, has begun to order American coffee also.

Montecatini Terme...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Coffee question

Sorry for asking but I didn't understand: you want to avoid Italian coffee for taste (too strong, I agree) or for price?

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Coffee question

Wow.. I didn't realize it was so inexpensive! On my recent trips to Greece, it was a lot more! 2,50€ a cup at least..which equates to over 3.00$ here in the states. I usually want a second, so you can see why I might want to have a cup in my apartment. And I would prefer not to stand and drink, but sit down...As for the taste, I have an espresso machine at home, i bought it when i returned from a trip to europe. but I only like it with lots of milk.. Either cappuchino or cafe latte (using Illy). Otherwise I prefer American coffee, and even that with lots of cream and Splenda!

Incidentally, this was not intended as a major ""vacation" for me. I just had some ff miles, and thought if like to stay in rome a couple of weeks...just to get away... Not really as a tourist, but more like just living there for a short time???

But again, I appreciate all the responses...and I know most Europeans don't care for our coffee or our beer.. Lol.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Coffee question

" [....] I usually want a second, so you can see why I might want to have a cup in my apartment. And I would prefer not to stand and drink, but sit down... [...]"

Bobbi, if you want to sit down without being charged more, I'd suggest you to get out of the tourist areas (that definition includes Trastevere!) and have a coffee in one of the countless neighbourhood cafés scattered throughout the city... where coffee costs less and tastes remarkably better! Remember that only tourist cafés charge more for sitting down.

"" [...] thought if like to stay in rome a couple of weeks...just to get away... Not really as a tourist, but more like just living there for a short time???"

Then, I believe this to be the right occasion to get off the beaten path and explore the rest of the city. Rome is not just its Disneyfied historical centre - which is a meager 4% of the total urban area - and a good chunk of the city's finest eateries (be it restaurants, cafés, etc.) are located in places tourists don't even know to exist... ; - )

Edited: 18 September 2013, 12:36
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Coffee question

Quirite, I think I am staying off the beaten track.. At least that is what I had hoped... Via ugo bassi, monteverde vecchio? No...yes???

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Coffee question

Don't worry, Monteverde vecchio is definitely off the beaten track! I just didn't remember about your last thread... my fault.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 12:54
18. Re: Coffee question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 06:20