We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Hi! I'm wondering what area in Rome others would recommend my fiance and I stay in based on our preferences.

We are a couple under 30, and we like to spend our mornings and early afternoons doing "touristy stuff" and in the late afternoon and evenings we like to either relax or wander near our place of stay. We love wining and dining at restaurants while people watching, and finding a nice pub to drink at after dinner. We like apartments (past experience great!) and we love being in an area that's great for walking, interesting buildings, lots of restaurants and shops, and somewhat close to some must-see tourist sites. (Or at least close to a metro station.)

To get a better idea of our preferences, see the below description of our last trip to Barcelona and what we loved about it.

As for location we stayed in the Gothic Quarter and loved it! We wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else. The area has a great atmosphere and lots of character, which are important. The streets are fun to get lost in as they are small and winding, with lots of interesting buildings. The area has lots of restaurants to choose from which is very important to us. We like to be close walking distance back to our room at the end of the night. It was also closer to the beach than other areas, and metro stations near by. There were also lots of locals who live and spend time in the area too, which is great!

We also chose to stay in an apartment and it was a great experience. It was tiny! But we didn't mind, it had a small little kitchenette, which was great for preparing our own breakfasts and lunches if we chose to. And while the other apartment rooms had balconies, ours didn't. But we were the last floor before the roof, and had easy access to the roof terrace which was way better than a balcony! We would go up there for a little siesta time and wind down from our busy days. We could look down on the streets and people watch from above. The apartment stay was a great choice. I loved how it made us feel more like locals. (We did how ever enjoy that our room was cleaned daily like a hotel. Nice surprise since the apartment's website says only once a week!)

So yea, that's a little about what we have enjoyed in the past, and hopefully someone can recommend a great area of Rome to stay!

Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
LivItaly Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Anywhere in the center of the city will give you what you want: Piazza Navona, Monti, parts of Trastevere, Campo de'Fiori, Pantheon, etc - if you look at a map and read up on the neighborhoods in your guidebook (which usually include photos of the areas), you will get a good idea of an area that looks appealing to you.

Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Help,,the question is supposed to be shorter than the answer, isnt it?

Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

I've done some reading, and found it hard to choose. So I'm looking for personal opinions of those who have been there before and what area they liked/disliked.

Plus a book's opinion is never as good as people on TripAdvisor! :D

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Well, every time I go (usually twice a year), I stay in Campo de'Fiori - I like it, others find it too touristy and noisy. So, there will be a lot of personal opinions - many will differ. My second choice would be parts of Trastevere - which is lively, charming even as it has become more touristy, there are still areas where it is not. I actually prefer it to Campo de'Fiori but I have personal reasons for staying where I do.

Each of the areas I mention cover your preferences. Anyway, good luck.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,280 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Where you stay in Rome depends on both your budget and how convenient you want your lodging placed. The area around the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona is most people would consider to be the modern Rome city center or “downtown”. Everyone likes/wants to stay in this area because you can walk to a great number of Rome sites. Because of its popularity, lodging in the triangle defined by Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona is more expensive than in other areas. Same with the Spanish steps. You have to balance your budget restrictions with your convenience factor. Rome is a big place and unless you want to spend 30 min or more walking, there are sights that it would be best to take public transport to, even if you base yourself in triangle defined by Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona areas.

Trastevere, the areas around the Colosseum (Monti, Celio), Barberini area, Vatican are not as central but reasonably charming and convenient. Using Public transport (reasonable good and cheap in Rome), these areas are reasonably convenient. Trastevere is my personal favorite. There are great transportation connections in Trastevere because Tram 8 that services the area runs every 15 min.

At the other end of the spectrum is the area around Termini. This area gets a bad rep, but violent crime in Rome is very low by American standards, and I have stayed in this neighborhood overnight and walked around there more than once after dark with no bad effects. Lodging near here is some of the cheapest in central Rome, but you have to take public transport to nearly all the major sites it you don’t feel like walking 1-2 miles to get there. The other down side is that is charmless and modern

Distance from Termini

1.45 miles to Piazza Navona (as the bird flies)

1.27 miles to the Pantheon (2.04 km)

1 mile to the Colosseum

2.5 miles to Vatican city (St Peter’s Basilica)

Bus 40 into triangle defined by Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona

The Rome Metro is not as comprehensive as in other European cities like Paris. There are only 2 lines that cross at temini currently (feb 2011). Someday there will be a third line in Rome which at this time is hopelessly behind schedule. While the Metro is a valuable addition to transport options, to get to many parts or Rome unless you want to do a lot of walking, you will need to use the bus system.

Map of the two Metro lines and the regional trains

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

Trastevere would be my choice.

Level Contributor
167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

We stayed at Deko Rome last summer. It's across the street from the American Embassy and close to a police station and grocery store. We walked everywhere and the owners gave great recommendations for restaurants and bars.

Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

I have stayed in the Sally apartment close to Piazza Navona 3 times now and I absolutely love it..great location and value in the best area in Rome, (IMO). Many bars and cafe's right outside your door! Friendly rentals has always been very easy to work with and the contact Gennaro has always been very good to me. I always get my deposit back when he comes to check you out of the apartment. The other plus is that I have always arrived in Rome very early 10 am and have been able to go directly to the apartment.

9. Re: Where to stay in Rome? (based on my preferences)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19