We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Still getting used to putting on socks here in Ontario after lots of warm summer weather. What can I expect in Rome and Tuscany, Oct 9-20? No more sandals(my most comfy shoe :-( ? Are locals full into sweaters and fall wear? Trying to figure out how to pack...I would imagine fall layers?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

You really should wait until it is a bit closer to check weather online. The weather has started to turn a bit with nights being chilly and occasional rain. It is still warm during days. However, that doesn't mean a warm spell might occur.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Yes, it's too early because October is a changeover month if the weather stays good then it will be quite warm during the day and chilly in the mornings and evenings but if the weather isn't good it could be quite cold and damp.

Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Good question as I will be there during that period too. I have already purchased all the necessary socks/thermal wear regardless.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Hi Jeniz, I have been in Rome in late November and still ate outside in the evening. I will be there in mid October. I am more afraid of the rain then the chill. I am not going to bring thermals in October, but then I am not from Singapore where I am sure the climate is much warmer. Bring an umbrella and be ready for whatever, but hope for great weather. If not, there are inside seats at wine bars. Have a great vacation.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Check the weather reports a few days before you leave. Plan to pack layers. It can be very hot during the day and then very cool in the evenings. You won't know until just a few days before your trip what you can expect.

Donna

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Sounds like weather in Italy is just like weather in Ontario for the fall....the unpredictable part. When you say hot do you mean warm enough for sandals and capris? Or will I be the only one in Italy dressed like this :-) ?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

It depends on day. I've worn stappy tanks during the day and had to put on a jacket and scarf as the sun went down. You won't know until just before your trip what the weather trend is for this year. If it looks like the days are going to be hot enough for you to wear capris and sandals then you should do it. Who cares if others aren't wearing them. My husband wears shorts even when there is snow on the ground.....he doesn't care because he is comfortable and that's all that matters.

Donna

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Italians seem to dress for the season, not necessarily for the weather. In autumn, you will see many wearing down coats & scarves when you're sweating in a light T-shirt. You will not, however, be the only one dressed in capris & sandals-there will be lots of other tourists dressed the same at that time.

Just dress for comfort & bring layers; cardigans, sweaters, light coats & close-toes shoes should the weather turn cold.

I found the fall weather comparable to that in Ontario, particularly in Tuscany. Cool in the morning, warm by afternoon, cool again in the evening. I do think the sun is much stronger in Italy, however & I've gotten a few sunburns in October as a result.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

I usually wear sandals until well into November, but my husband has already abandoned them.

I wouldn't wear thermal underwear or heavy socks, because, if it's sunny, you could very well be sweltering at midday. The best strategy, as others have said, is to wear top layers that you can remove when it gets warm. A cardigan is better than a pullover, because you can open it to get a little air when it starts to warm up, and then remove it altogether when it gets hot.

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clothing/weather 2nd week in October

Exactly, yes. a tshirt with a pullover or sweatshirt in case...my sandals are my most comfortable shoes.must take them!