We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

We would like to do a day trip to Vesuvius and Pompeii. Obviously a day is not ideal but it is all we can fit in. So would you recommend doing it with a tour company and guid, that way we can see the highlights and not get lost.

Or do it on the train yourself and no guide at pompeii then up vesuvius and back. Also - How long does it take to get from Pompeii to Vesuvius (and how?), how long does it take to get up vesuvius and back down and to the train station.

Basically if we do it without a tour, what time do we have to be out of pompeii to get up and down vesuvius, back to the train station in order to get back to Naples for the 1800 back to Rome?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

I would do it yourself and hire a guide onsite. They are inexpensive and very good. You don't need someone to take you on the train or to drive you. It's very easy to do on your own and will save you a lot of money.

Donna

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

Thanks, is it easy to find a guide on site? i assume there is a tourist office type thing?

Do you know the answer to my other questions?

thanks

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

Definitely do it yourself, there are tours you can join at the ticket area, all very simplem

there were Jeep tours to vesuvius going from outsidethe train station so you could always pick one of them up.

If you get to pompei first thing and take a tour and wander around a bit more you can be out and on a vesuvius trip by early afternoon. You may find you don't quite get to see everything in the site though.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

You can find the guides at the pompeii scavi. Talk to several before choosing one.

I have never been to Vesuvius so I can't help with that part of your trip.

Donna

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,887 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

You don't really need to get a guide in Pompeii. They have a very nice little guide booklet that describes all the same things a guide will show you. There are several free audio guides available for various mp3 players as well as the official one you can rent.

The Circumvesuviana takes about 20 minutes between Ercolano Scavi and Pompei S. Villa Misteri.

Give yourself about 3+ hours in Pompeii, 90 minutes to eat lunch and about another 3 hours for the round trip to the top of Vesuvius. There are buses that leave from Pompeii but it may be more convenient to buzz over to Ercolano Scavi on the train since there are more frequent departures from there.

You should easily have time to visit Herculaneum as well - it's a very different state of preservation than Pompeii.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

Don't rely on any guide booklet being available - also don't rely on maps. I've never seen a guide booklet on my trips there but if they do have them, the ticket office will probably have run out of copies in English - ditto the maps (which are all in Italian anyway). Download a copy of the map (see Pompeii forums top questions - the question about access for limited mobility has a link to the site map).

A free audio guide for an ipod or similar device is the way to go - don't pay for the outdated one at the site - it's a waste of money.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

I've never had any issues getting the guide booklets on my trips to Pompeii. They have always given up a map and the guide booklet when we've asked for them. If they do happen to be out you can always go to their bookstore and get a cheap guide book for the site. This will help a lot if you don't use a guide.

Donna

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

Thanks, don't think we could fit Herculaneum in as well. So must pick 2 out of the 3 sites and do them. Pompeii, Vesuvius and herculaneum...

Get to Pompeii at 10am - 3hrs there, then an hour for lunch. that is 2pm. Plus 3 hours for Vesuvius and we need to be back in Naples for 6pm for the train back to Rome.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

It was my first time in Italy and I visited Pompeii on 17/9 from Rome, so easy to do it yourself. Bought my Frecciarossa Rome - Naples train tickets in advance in July which helped on costs. I left Rome at 735am got to Naples at 845am. Had to catch the Circumvesuviana train which is a little walk away inside the station at 911am and got to Pompeii in 40 mins. Outside the Pompeii train station there was guides offering bus trips up to Vesuvius. I would have loved to have visited Vesuvius but didn't do this so I can't help on this one! I left Pompeii at 230pm as my partner and I managed to get around everything we needed to see. My prebooked train tickets were then Naples at 4pm to arriving at Rome for 510pm. I think if you plan to visit both sites make sure you allow plenty of time from getting from A to B as one of our Circumvesuviana trains was running a little late and could have made an impact on our next journey had we not allowed time for it. We also carried some sandwhichs and snacks for lunch on the go which also saved on time.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 12:28
Labrador City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Pompeii - Tour company or Self

Hi Bashyo,

The town on Pompeii is quite beautiful and only requires a short period of time to walk around and enjoy. The ancient site of Pompeii is much bigger than one might think. It is easier and quicker to visit the site on your own - you can easily 'rent' audio self-guided tour outside of the site.

If you are only going to see the site, then it is worth a visit.

If you are hoping to cover the whole area and see relics, artifacts, etc. then you may want to save this visit for another trip as I don't feel it is possible. Most of the artifacts, art, original petrified remnants (for lack of a more sensitive term) are in a museum in Naples (understandably for preservation). We did know this when we went and had not allotted time for a stop in Naples. There are still some original sights to be seen, and the roads, street signs, numbers, etc. are fascinating to see. I'm glad we went; personally I wouldn't recommend it if you only have an afternoon or morning to spend there - it's just not enough time.

With regards to visiting Vesuvius, we took a guided bus tour (not private) which basically brought us up, let us explore on our own for a couple of hours, and then brought us back down. I would recommend this and if you look for Vesuvius bus tours on tripadvisor, I'm sure you will find whatever suits you!

Personally I would focus either on Vesuvius or on Pompeii, not both. I don't like being rushed, but if you are okay with that, then enjoy - you won't be disappointed regardless of your choice!

Enjoy your trip!

VB