We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,454 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

We booked the Vatican Night tour at 7 pm, 19:00. I thought we'd visit St. Peter's Basilica that afternoon, have a bite to eat somewhere, then go to the Night tour. I've read that the Pont Sant'Angelo is beautiful at night, so maybe we could walk there afterward? I don't have a good idea yet of how far it might be to walk back to our hotel, the Hotel Rosetta, which is very near the Colosseum and Forum....but I suppose we could get a taxi if we are tired of walking after our tours?

What time should we plan on going to St. Peter's that afternoon in order to have time to see it and to eat?

If we could happen to be able to get tickets for the Scavi tour, do you think that would be advisable to do on the same day?

Where would be a good place to eat prior to the Vatican tour? (reasonable price, good food, not upscale but where we could rest our feet for a bit) Another post I read mentioned Sorpasso, Romeo, and Pizzarium, but I don't know if those were near the Vatican or near the OP's hotel.

Thank you!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

The walk from the Vatican area to the colosseum area will take about an hour. I would probably go for the taxi. If you could get a morning or early afternoon scavi tour you could do them both in the same day. You could visit the basilica after the scavi and then do a dinner while waiting for your time at the museums.

IF you don't get the scavi tour I would try to be at the basilica no later than 3pm or so. This will give you plenty of time to explore and then get dinner.

Donna

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

Restaurants in Rome do not serve dinner until starting at 7 pm. They also close after lunch from 3-7pm. you can eat at a cafe/bar at other times.

Bus 87 runs fron near Castel Sant' Angelo to near the Colosseum

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,454 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

Thanks, Donna. If we decided to get a taxi, would we need to call one or is there a stand nearby?

And thank you, lupaling. a café would be fine. Sounds like we might need lunch in the area, too. Suggestions?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

You may have seen those restaurant recommendations when I asked a similar question to yours. We did the scavi tour at 11.15am, visited St Peters, had lunch and a wander round, then the Friday evening Vatican Museum Tour.

We thought about visiting Castel Sant Angelo in the afternoon but I'm glad we didn't , as it would have been too much in one day.

The Friday evening tour was good if you just want an oversight, as the first hour was spent just standing at the meeting point listening to a PowerPoint presentation from the guide. Everyone was so tired standing by the end of this, that it was difficult to appreciate the second hour fully, when we were actually shown round various rooms and exhibiits. For some unknown reason, we were not given any time or shown where to see or hear the concert which was supposed to be included.

We ate at Romeo's, which was good but I didn't really think it was worth the price. We had a couple of glasses of wine, one small shared pasta, two burgers which were served with potato crisps not chips or salad, two absolutely tiny desserts- 86€. For that money, I really expected something like chips and salad to accompany the burger and I did not expect to have to order dessert as we were still peckish. Dessert certainly didn't fill the hole, as it was so tiny, about one inch square!

We arrived and left on the No 40 bus which drops you just between St Peters and Castel Sant Angelo.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 09:16
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

PS. The restaurants mentioned are all near the Vatican.

Pizzarium is only a takeaway pizza place, though it is supposed to be very good.

I also considered Dino & Tony, which considering reviews might have been a more filling choice than Romeos!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

I would consider all three in one day to be a bit too much.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

I have not had good luck eating in the Vatican area myself. I usually eat in the cafeteria in the basement of the Vatican Museums or have sandwiches and pastries in Castel Sant' Angelo.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

It's true that the area is full of overpriced and mediocre restaurants, with a few outright ripoff artists thrown in.

One place where we got a decent meal at a reasonable price was La Pancia Felice, near Castel Sant'Angelo. I doubt that the Vatican Museums cafeteria is open for the night visits.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

You could consider having your main meal at lunchtime (possibly the other side of the river or in Trastevere - depending whether you opt for the Scavi tour or go elsewhere in the morning). After visiting St Peter's Basillica in the afternoon, you could get a light bite from a takeaway sandwich/pizza place - which you would have to eat standing, but could rest your feet by just going for a drink somewhere.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Night tour booked, need advice on St Peter's etc

You have to pay extra to rest your feet having a drink. Be very careful with bars and restaurants in the Vatican area. Don't order anything unless you see in writing what it will cost you.