We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping tour guides?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
663 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping tour guides?

We contracted with a tour company for two half day private tours. Curious what the proper protocol is for tipping. Do we tip? What percent? We have never done tours while vacationing so looking for suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping tour guides?

You have contracted a price. That is what you pay. Tipping is unnecessary in Italy for anything, though you can show a small appreciation of good service by maybe rounding off a bill, say €39 to €40. I know this seems foreign to you but American tipping customs seem foreign to most of the rest of the world. Things are done differently in Europe.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping tour guides?

Hi wiscmom38, i have taken a lot of tours and enjoyed most of them. I never tipped a tour guide. I am sure they would not resist if you want to tip. Your call.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping tour guides?

There is no need to tip a guide for their service. They are paid a good wage.

Donna

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping tour guides?

Every time I have taken a tour, I have tipped... There was always a basket by the driver. Or they hinted around about it. I assumed it was appropriate??? The guides seemed to expect them... Or is this just because I'm from the US?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping tour guides?

It's just a U.S. thing. The drivers know that most people from the U.S. are used to tipping for everything so they put their hand out too. There is no need to tip for anything in Italy. If it makes you feel better to tip then you should but just remember that you don't need to.

Donna

kingswood
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping tour guides?

What about the free tours? On their website they say these guides work for tips. Should we tip them?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping tour guides?

The guides give free tours in order for you to sign up for their other (not free) tours. If you choose to tip you can but you don't need to or to tip that much. Someone said they tipped 20euros, to me, that's too much. Five euros would be more than enough, unless it's a private tour and then you'll probably tip more.

Donna

Turin
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping tour guides?

Omg... let's try again... you should NOT tip ANYBODY in Italy. Period.

You don't tip the waiter, the dentist, the plumber, the taxi driver, the ticket inspector on the bus, the policeman, the teacher and the priest.

Nobody means nobody. If they ask for a tip just have a laugh and ignore them.

We don't tip, and you're kindly asked to do the same and leave everything as you found it.

kingswood
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping tour guides?

Ok. I got it, I got it, I got it! Believe me, it will save me money so I like it.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping tour guides?

Naporsocapo! Great feedback. I will remember your words for my up coming trip. Well put!