We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

I'll be visiting the Colosseum Sunday Oct 12 and was wondering if there are generally long lines in October? I've been debating getting the Roma Pass as I'll be there Saturday night - Monday afternoon.

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

Hi, Colosseum's queue is always long no matter the time or date is. I recommend you to book/buy your tickets online in advance so you don't have to queue for that long - you just have to go straight to the ticket collection desk. Else, there are tour guides who will offer queue jumps - but then they will charge a little bit more. :)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

More than once I have rented an apt in the Celio which is in back of the Colosseum and every day I had to walk past it to start my day or to return to the apt. Even in Feb there have have been long lines at least part of the time. In the past myself I bought a Roma pass partly just to avoid standing in the Colosseum ticket line.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

October is still high season so expect long lines. I would suggest purchasing tickets in advance.

Donna

new jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

I bought the Roma Pass when I got into Rome at the Roma Termini Station, from a newsstand, NO LINES at all when we went to the Colosseum a couple of weeks ago!

No worries, just get the pass and use it wisely while taking the advantage of the buses and trains! Same price for the pass everywhere.

München
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

Just go to the Palatin entrance. The line is short. You just need to wait like 15 minutes if the line is long (in the morning). If you buy your ticket in the evening then you will me able to go straight through.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

That's not always true. The line at the forum and palatine hill entrances have gotten longer over the past several years because a lot of people tell everyone there is usually no line. Those lines can be just as long as the line for the colosseum. There are no guarantees at either site that the lines will be short no matter the time of day. If you want to guarantee no lines then you should pre-purchase entry tickets. You can now buy them online again and print them at home for a 1.50 euros service fee. To me that's much better than waiting half an hour to 45 minutes for tickets.

Donna

plymouth
Level Contributor
201 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

We went the same date last year and were so thankful we had got the Roma pass after reading ta it was lovely just to walk right past the enormous queue and we found it to be excellent value we went to the borghese gallery and also discount on the capitoline museum which we thought was fantastic also covered all our travelling for the 3days

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

We went to the colloseum last week, Tues 24 Sept. We went straight after breakfast and arrived at the forum entrance at 8.50am there was no queue at all, we bought our tickets and continued to the colloseum. There were about 2 people in the ticket queue there but obviously we went straight in. If you don't buy in advance get there early as an hour later there was a queue.

9. Re: How bad is the Colosseum line in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:18