We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appian Way - information/suggestions

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Appian Way - information/suggestions

We are leaving in a week for Rome.

Pretty booked days but are looking at needing to fit in a RUN as my partner is in training for half marathon and Marathon. Trying to decide where to run (and we have contacted jogginsight.com but also looking at just doing it on our own at Appian Way.

I have done some research and looked here : www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

But still confusing.

She is the runner I am not. I would love to go with her and rent a bike (one reason to pick Appian Way) but is it really FAR away. And then the map is confusing on where we should go.

Would love suggestions and detailed questions below.

1. WE will be at the Colosseum/Forum on Sunday and seems like we would be closer if we went from there - correct (do I have my geography right). OR does it really matter.

2. If we do go from the colosseum - we finish our tour around 12:30 so we could head over then and she can just change to jogging clothes!

3. Best way to get there should we just take a taxi to make it easy.

4. How would I rent a bike and where. I see 4 places to rent them and they are in different areas.

5. Where would be the best place to start the run/bike ride. WE love scenery and interesting monuments.

Just an fyi on our other rome plans - should we blow off the Appian way and she can just run in the city.

Fri arrive 4pm - free night

Sat - 2:30 - 5:00 vatican tour (morning evening free)

Sun - Colosseum/Forum tour 8 - 12ish (afternoon and evening free)

Mon - all day to Pompeii

Tues - 9;30 to 1:00 market tour (afternoon and evening free)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

1. You can start from the forum, see todayszaman.com/news-118596-jog-hike-or-bike…

4. This bike rental place isn't far from the colosseum - topbikerental.com/nuovosito/eng/index.html

2. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 00:48
bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

That is GOOD info....

Sunday's it is closed before 4:00pm so no traffic..but cobblestones are no good!

There must be another part to run..but wait for others to chime in.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

Here is a google map of the appian Way. Approx location of bike rentals are the green bicycle.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Until you get to Porta Sebastiano there will be traffic. Take the Metro from Collosseo to Circo Maximo and catch the 118 there

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

The cobblestones make the pavement really uneven

The buses run on Sunday and therre is local traffric on the Appian Way and there is little shoulder to the road in parts

Where do you run in the city and avoid the traffic? Villa Borghese?

I love the appian way, but I jsut walk on it

Edited: 25 September 2013, 04:14
5. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 00:46
Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

You could also run/cycle along by the river (steps lead down to a walkway at various points).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

I think the Doria Pamphilj park is a good choice, or else along the Tevere.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

is the Villa Doria Pamphili park across the river. Trying to google it.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

Hi

The Villa Doria Pamphilj park is on the same side of the river as the Vatican and Trastevere. and is west of Trastevere. See the following TA link for reviews: tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187791-…

10. Re: Appian Way - information/suggestions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20